Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Question about pictures

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

I have posted pictures of my roses a couple of different times in the last few days, they don't look that great on this site, everyone else's are fantastic. Is it my camera? Right now I'm taking them with my phone camera (that's all I've got), which is a Blackberry. The pictures are pretty good, but they don't look that great on this site. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (16)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

A tiny photo on your camera screen will look much better than blown up big on a computer screen. I use my blackberry a lot for photos, but rarely do I post photos from that camera here.

One thing I notice is people tend to get too close (out of the focal range of the camera) rather than stand back and zoom in for a similar view. But with a blackberry zooming will not help.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

iPads do not take beautiful pics, either. Not compared to a real camera.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

And another pic question....when I upload to HMF, the pic comes out sideways, no matter how many times I edit???? Anyone ? Help??

• jerijen
    10 years ago

If the photo is sideways, you need to turn it, and save it in the correct position.

I don't use a smartphone for photos, but I do take some photos when traveling, with my tablet. Because I saw a need for editing (such as turning photos, or re-sizing, or cropping) I downloaded a free app -- SNAPSEED -- which does a great job. Since Snapseed works on my android tablet, it should work on an android-based phone. And they may have an apple version.

Sadly, a smart phone isn't going to give you good enough quality in any closeup situation. I wouldn't use my tablet for that, either. Because I want photos people (and I!) can see.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

iPad always automatically rights the picture, but for some odd reason it comes out sideways on HMF. Duh, Susan.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I think the thing with an ipad righting the photos is that it knows the way you are holding the ipad.

I would try and hold the ipad in the "landscape photo" position (wider than taller) and then try and upload that photo and see if that solves the issue with out having to resave in the correct rotation.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

I tried to rotate, save, and upload. It did not work. ,will try your method Kippy.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

And it is still sideways in all possible methods. Ugh

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FRANCIS MEILLAND

Took this picture this evening, took several, this was the best.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Pretty rose!

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Your Iphone just doesn't have the ability to focus in on a rose bloom.

Jeri

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on cameras that aren't outrageously expensive? When I try to take pictures of the grandkids my Blackberry doesn't work that well for that either.

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

You can get a fairly decent shot with an iphone- the trick is stillness, both of the bloom and your hand. It's very tricky; even a slight breeze will blur the shot. The hardest part for me is holding the phone still enough while tapping the screen for focus and then hitting the button to actually take the picture without moving the camera.

Some phone cameras- not sure about the blackberry specifically, but my old droid did have this- have a 'Macro' setting for the camera. It's usually a small flower icon that lets the camera know you would like it to focus in a very shallow depth of field very close up. Use this if you have it available, it's a lot of help! Again, any movement this close up will be magnified, so shaky hands and breezes are not your friends. :)

As for other camera recommendations, I really enjoy any of the Canon lines. Depending on how much you'd like to pay there are several options. I use a Canon G10; it's several years old now, the newest version is the G15. Brand new they run about $500 and I absolutely love it; great macro and zoom capabilities, nice stabilization, excellent color capture. I've also seen excellent reviews for the Canon PowerShot line, which is less expensive.

I've also become intrigued by the newest Sony cameras, but mostly for their crazy interactive capabilities, which sounds like it may be more features than you need and/or want.

Here are some quick shots I took this afternoon comparing an iphone with the G10; the real camera obviously wins:

{{!gwi}}

• jerijen
    10 years ago

The real camera DOES always win. And yes, you can get a lot more camera than a phone offers, without spending an arm and a leg. Try Costco or Sam's Club, and also look on line through Amazon.

I once did a talk on things you can do to increase your photo-taking success. Not high-tech stuff. I stlll have that, and I could likely send it to you, if you contact me privately.

Jeri

• hartwood
    10 years ago

I have four different cameras that I use to take photos that I publish here and on my blog ... my Nikon D70 SLR, Canon Powershot Elph 110S, iPhone 4, and iPad 3. Each of these has their advantages and disadvantages.

If I'm wanting to do REALLY good photos, I use the Nikon. It has the largest file size and the most options for photo exposure and settings. Almost of my macro photos are taken with this camera.

The little Canon Powershot is great for grab and shoot. It's not good for macro, but it does really well for people and landscape photos.

I wish I took better photos with my iPhone, because I know it can do it, I just haven't taken the time to download any photo apps or learn how to use the camera to its best advantage. I'm getting better at it the more I practice.

I love taking photos with my iPad!! Since the screen is large, it's really easy to compose photos ... and it is the best at processing red roses, though I still must photograph reds in overcast conditions. I took some awesome shots of storm clouds this morning using my iPad.

With the iPad and iPhone, you CAN adjust the exposure and focus to any point on the screen you want. Simply frame your shot, touch the screen at the desired spot, and watch the camera adjust. If you like what you see, take the shot. If you don't, touch another spot and see if it's any better.

It's a myth that it takes an expensive camera to get good photos. Learn how to use the camera you have, and take lots and LOTS of photos to practice. Photo editing software (like Photoshop) or online editing sites (like PicMonkey) can help turn a so-so photo into a better one. The important thing is to just keep at it. Try different times of day, different weather, different angles. You can do it!

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Also -- you need to know your camera's strengths and limitations. Find out what is its shortest focal distance. If it cannot focus closer than 4 ft., you must shoot from no closer than 4 ft. -- if focus matters. (And with a photo of a rose, it does.)

Thank goodness, digital is free.
    (Not like having to buy film and processing!)

Take a whole series of practice pix of the same object, at different distances. This will show you what your focal range is. Work within that, and you'll maximize your camera's capability.

Also, take note of what is in focus. This image might have been better if the focus was on the stamens at the center of the bloom. Auto-focus selected the buds, and focused there, and I wasn't watching. And actually, I sort of like it.

Nevertheless, after about age 50 (which I sailed past long ago) Auto-focus is really valuable, because your eyes lose the ability to hold focus for more than seconds.

Jeri

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022