Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The real Sallie Holmes

Posted by lou_texas 8a N Central TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 17:45

I don't know if any of you get the Moosey Country Garden Blog from New Zealand, but this bit in the June letter is interesting to to me since I grow the Sallie Holmes rose. I thought it might be interesting to you as well. Hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws to quote Moosey:

"At the end of April 2012 the Reverend Amanda Boon wrote to me from England, with news of the passing of Sally Holmes. The family has kindly given their permission for me to include this news on my Sally Holmes rose page.

"'Sally was born in Northern Ireland in the 1920s and married Robert Holmes in 1944. They lived in Yorkshire for a while before settling in Stockport, Cheshire. Robbie was a rose breeder and named the rose after his deeply loved wife.' Sally Holmes: died April 12th 2012."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The real Sallie Holmes

How wonderful his tribute to his loving wife turned out to be such a world-rose. I remember Ralph Moore telling how touching it was to find the mini he named for his daughter (Mona Ruth) widely grown in Israel on a visit there. I can imagine their pleasure in reading of "her rose" and encountering it around the world. Bless her, and him. I'm happy her rose proudly keeps her memory alive. Kim

o
RE: The real Sallie Holmes

Do you know of any other roses bred by Robert ? I only know of Sally Holmes and Fred Loads. Still trying to get to know Fred. The image of the bouquets are impressive!
Looks just like Sally Homes but in its own unique color.
Cannot find any sites for Robert Holmes either.

This post was edited by bloomeriffic on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 16:23

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here