Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone id this deficiency?

Posted by blocke19 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 17:47

Hey, I have a Heritage rose that has developed some yellowing on the leaf margins, just wondering if anyone could help me out on what might be the cause? It's on random leaves all over the plant. For reference, I'm in bluegrass country KY, the plant is grafted and lives in rich soil, bit on the clay side but heavily amended with composted horse manure (we live on a horse farm there's an endless supply!) and I know the land round here is limestone rich. The plant is fed with alfalfa tea and Karl Bapst's fertilizer mix/recipe. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone id this deficiency?

I'm not totally sure but it might be Rose Mosaic Virus, which, of course you can't do anything about.

o

Might be RMV, but hard to tell from the pic. In any case, if the rose is otherwise happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

o

I don't think it's RMV. All of mine are doing that to some degree. That's not to say it isn't that, but my thoughts are that it's not.

Could be fertilizer burn, or maybe salts from overfertilizing?

o

Not salts, but I think Kentstar is going in the right direction. Don't think it is RMV. Maybe just worn-out leaves. Or stress related to fluctuating and unusual weather conditions.

Not, I suspect, seriously problematical.

Jeri

o

It's leaf stress - heat and drought, rain at the wrong time, old age leaves, etc.

That is not RMV.

o

Thank you all! I guess I'll just wait and see. It has been an incredibly wet spring thus far here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here