Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

What's your weather like?

kittymoonbeam
9 years ago

Our weather in So. CA decided to behave for a bit and give the roses a chance to make some pretty blooms. I get clouds in the morning from the ocean and then it's clear the rest of the day with a high around 80 F. The mornings and evenings are good gardening temps so I'm enjoying being outside with the plants when I can.

Comments (19)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Things have settled down in the mitten state too. We're actually running about normal for temps and rain which is pretty good for the roses. Earlier we were pretty cool and I never did get what I'd call a spring flush but I have some blooms now so I'm happy!

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Dallas area today, yikes!

• dove_song
    9 years ago

It's sunny with some sporadic cloudiness & it's supposed to get 'bout 79 F here in Spokane, WA. Lol, I'm all about doing gardening in the cool of the mornings. After that it's too bloomin' hot, and then in the evenings the bugs really start buggin' me. ;)

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Now it's overcast...

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

102 for the high, 78 for the low....feels like 95 when it is 102 due to the 5% humidity. It is rather nice until about 2 p.m. At that point, the temperature hits 93 but feels like a dry 86-88. I actually do not mind the open shade at that point, but prefer to stay out of the full sun. Some of the roses are really, really happy right and seem to have perked up with the increases temperature over the past couple of weeks. Gertrude Jekyll, the Hybrid Perpetuals and Annie Laurie Mc Dowell are growing rapidly.

The other Austin's have slowed down, Reine des Violettes is growing rapidly and in bloom. Everything else seems to be growing, but at a slower rate than Feb - early May. No clouds, sun and blue skies but that is extremely typical and rather deceiving when it is cold out.

Ogrose,

I wish we had some of your rain...especially if the temperatures were lower.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 22:02

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    9 years ago

Ogrose: I am wondering if that is we will be expecting later. Eek.

The weather here is overcast and cool with quick but heavy showers. I think the garden in general enjoys the lack of heat.

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Well, the plants definitely are enjoying these gully washers, and really is helping our drought conditions. It's pretty pleasant out, around 80, but the humidity is at 89% right now, which will NOT be pleasant when it starts heating up again in the next few days, lol! Oh well, glad to have it while we can, for sure.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

ogrose, 3 days of of much needed rain in Houston also.
    It can stop now. We're good!

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

My garden is finally getting some good rain. The last several systems that have come through skipped us (la porte), so hopefully now the huge cracks in the yard will go away for a bit, and the tomatoes will quit sulking.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Lets see... It rained 16 days out of 25 here in June.
    Luckily each of those days that it rained we also had some sunshine during parts of the day. So roses/plants/shrubs growing well in June..Not to mention grass and weeds too...lol

• buford
    9 years ago

I took the week off to work on the yard/house so of course it's raining every day! LOL, earlier this week it was very hot and humid. After a day of rain, it's much cooler and less humid. I was able to power wash the deck and porch. Today the patio. My roses are pretty much still in the lull of post first flush and hopefully with this rain will have another flush soon.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Hot and humid. We had some rain the other night but most of the rain has been everywhere but here. The clay is starting to bake.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I have 3 Santa Barbara Sages that did not get the message they are dwarfs to move and my two poor hacked to the ground lavenders. Going to split the sages and have 2 roses to plant as well. And a couple of sacks of concrete mix to get out of my way in the garage...now that should be fun (NOT)

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

Buggy! Buggy is weather, too, isn't it ;) ?

The temps have been from mid-80's to low 90's mostly, and humid, so it will take me a little while to get used to the heat before it gets even hotter. Short thunderstorms most evenings/nights, but nothing awful so far, thank goodness. Just a regular June, and I always hate it at first. I do garden in the sun in the daytime :)

Bug-wise, we have everything from Japanese beetles and June bugs (both!) to leafhoppers and grasshoppers in droves right now. The praying mantises aren't very big yet. I don't know if the heat/humidity cranking up would bother me so much if it weren't also so itchy out there from things swarming on me, lol! I think I swallow a bug a day :D

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Lol, Meredith!! :D Your sense of humor STILL cracks me up. Thanks. Hope your day is going great...

This post was edited by dove_song on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 15:29

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I saw my first lightning bugs in North Carolina last year. I wish we had them here. I can hear a few crickets and some mockingbirds after dark but that's all. I really like the way frogs sound but its too dry for frogs here.

• tigerloveroses
    9 years ago

It was 82 and sunny(but humid) in pittsburgh,pa

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

It's been in the low to high eighties which is pleasant in the shade but in the sun after a few minutes it feels like 105. I can only garden in the evenings and then there's never enough daylight to do much except watering. No rain of course, and the drought conditions make for a blah garden. Wish we could siphon off water from the places that have more than they want or need!

Ingrid

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

It has been in the high 80's here by the Great Lakes, too hot! The air is like burning, feel like melting as soon as you step outside, riding scooter is no longer cool, zooming under the burning sun....... I want the ice-age back today. :-) Love the weather in the 70's. Gardening at night, it should be in the 60's under the moonlight.