Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhrobin

Climbing rose for arbor in Zone 5???

nhrobin
9 years ago

Help please!

I am searching for a climbing rose for my new 10ft white entryway arbor with gate.

They say my zone is 5 BUT.... we're right on the Blackwater River and, believe me... I think we're really closer to zone 3 (not kidding here!)

I have done several unsuccessful searches.

Does anyone have recommendations? I'd like #1 red #2 pink, continuous bloom with fragrance, if possible. Resistance to blackspot and mildew. (Not asking for much, am I?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (22)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Easy - Quadra.

I'll post pictures when I get more computer time.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

These photos are from yesterday.

{{gwi:295783}}

{{gwi:295785}}

The arch is 8 ft tall.

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

You will not find any climber that is truly cane hardy in zone 5 that will meet all of the criteria's you have listed. You will have to sacrifice something and typically that is fragrance. In addition, not many roses can be classified as 'continuous bloomers' and that is certainly even more true when applied to climbers which tend to be distinct flush bloomers once established. The term 'continuous bloomer' is also very subjective and means different things to different people.

MG's recommendation is a very good one. I'll add a few more. The roses listed below have little to no fragrance.

Red- Quadra, Ramblin' Red, illusion, Amadeus (not as cane hardy as the other reds, but will perform very well in zone 5 even with dieback)

Pink- Felix LeClerc, John Davis, Rosarium Uetersen (not as cane hardy as the other pinks, but will perform very well in zone 5 even with dieback)

Light Blush Pink- New Dawn, Awakening, Viking Queen (All of these will suffer varying degrees of dieback in most zone 5 climates pending severity of winter)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

John Davis is what I'm attempting - but I've been told it's a very slow grower. Cane hardy to Zone 5 I believe. Wish I had more info on how it does but they are brand new.

Good luck!!

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

Get a grafted plant of John Davis. Pickering Nurseries carries it on multiflora. Problem solved. However, JD can be somewhat partial to powdery mildew, but I've never seen it infected by BS here.

I have one that is about 10 years old now and I have to prune it each spring and again in fall to keep it around 10-12 feet tall and about 6-8 feet wide.

Felix LeClerc is another really good Explorer/Artist series climber and it does have a small amount of fragrance to it. The bright pink colour really pops as well.

• nhrobin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for replying MG, MM and TG@902. I have located a nursery offering Ramblin' Red but so far have not found Quadra available (except at Cornhill with exorbitant shipping charges).

I've decided to forfeit the fragrance in favor of hardy, disease resistant "recurrent bloom" possibilities, and am now searching for smaller hardier roses to perfume my newly created 14' x 24' cottage garden.

Thanks for all of your help!

• michelle_co
    9 years ago

highcountryroses.com has Quadra. I need to try it again, my copy of it never behaved like most Mordens, which do extremely well here. Morden Centennial is very tall in my garden & is perfectly hardy. It could probably be trained to climb.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Northland Rosarium also has Quadra. I've been extremely pleased with roses from both High Country and Northland Rosarium .

If your mind is not made up on Quadra, some z5 climbers are available at Uncanoonuc Mt in Goffstown: red: Don Juan; pinks: John Cabot, John Davis, New Dawn, Super Dorothy, and Zepherine Drouhin.

• barefootgirl
    9 years ago

Dublin Bay has been very hardy for me in zone 5, except of course for this year, when the polar vortex killed it to the ground. But it has already shot back up to about 3 feet and will be shading the gutters in a month or so.

Awakening was also hardy and beautiful (it's New Dawn but with more petals) but I lost it to RRD. I had gotten an own-root twig through Heirloom and it grew like the dickens.

• jacquierz5bmi
    9 years ago

I have had a John Davis on a trellis for four years and love it although it is not really a climber. For me it gets about 7 - 8 ft. tall and is a vigorous grower and very healthy. Never a spot of BS in my BS prone garden. And best of all in this winter from h@#$%, not one bit of winter dieback. Green to the tips.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    9 years ago

Look at the climber 'Winner's Circle'. A website says hardy from zone 5-9.
    Look into Jasmina another disease resistant climber in pink family. Not sure of the hardiness zone compatibility.

• chillyfreetoes
    9 years ago

I have a Ramblin' Red that I bought last year, and it suffered significant cane dieback from this hard winter. The good news is that is has recovered beautifully and is climbing again, but it is still about 3 feet tall right now.

• nhrobin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you to all who responded to my plea for help! I finally got off the fence and order two Quadras from High Country Roses. Will post some photos as the season progresses.

• mariannese
    9 years ago

I grow six Geschwind climbers on pillars along the path to the house door, all are tip hardy in my zone after 13-15 years in the ground. They are unscented except Himmelsauge and Erinnerung an Brod so I have lavender hedges under the roses for scent.

The setigera Aurelia Liffa last summer after one of the worst springs in living memory when many roses were lost.

• johnnycabot
    9 years ago

I would urge you to plant for hardiness in your zone.
    #1 John Cabot (red)
    #2 John Davis (pink)
    first bloom is profuse, intermittent show thereafter
    Requires hardly pruning and tying (twine) of shoots to trellis. Pics to follow -don't know how to post multiple pics, may follow next postings. Good Luck with your choice!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Johnny, those are absolutely stunning photos of your John Cabot and John Davis!! Are they from your yard? They are very fine specimens and they do the convincing all by themselves! Just gorgeous!

Cynthia

• johnnycabot
    9 years ago

Thank you Cynthia, yes it is my yard. They require regular grooming and cutting back to look neat, esp John Cabot as he is seen from the street. We use both walkways thru the trellis's so they must be open and clear. They thrive on pruning back, get "haircuts" about 3 times a summer.

• welltraveled
    9 years ago

Not a fancy pants rose,but New Dawn blooms like crazy for me in zone 5 MI and I have had it for 14 years.. Yes tons of dieback this spring,But coming back great

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Welltraveled, I like New Dawn a lot too, but none of mine re-bloom, I have 3 of them. Does yours re-bloom? Thanks

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

If you have a New Dawn that doesn't rebloom, then you don't have New Dawn. Rather, you have the original parent, Dr. Van Fleet which is a once bloomer.

True New Dawn's rebloom very well provided they are deadheaded and usually have 3 flushes per year even here with our short summers. We get the heavy spring flush in June, another small flush in late July/early August and then another larger flush in mid September. Basically every 5-6 weeks or so.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Thanks the morden man, they are pretty when they are in bloom.....just planted Blossomtime and Awakening rose bands next to them, hopefully in 3 years I will see some re-blooms out of the same spots. Also I will try deadheading after their first bloom this year.....I might buy another New Dawn and give it a try if I can find a grafted one at any local nursery......
    I see you're in Ontario, there is a Niagara Parks Botanical Garden, it has over 2400 roses, I love there!
    Thanks again