Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelg_gw

You really want 'Mother of Pearl'

michaelg
13 years ago

It's a little early to be enabling for next season, but not to late to start a potted rose right now.

I am just crazy about MoP. It has a very beautiful HT-style flower in peachy apricot-pink with a satiny texture and a nice fragrance to my nose, though apparently some people can't smell it. These flowers come on long single stems or in clusters, and they last longer than any other rose I grow, whether cut or left on the bush.

The plant is vigorous, bushy, and free-blooming. Its foliage is abundant and resistant to disease so far. Celeste grows it in zone 4-5 New Hampshire. In my mild climate it is tip-hardy in winter and happy all growing season, but I haven't heard how it does in heat or amidst the West Coast diseases.

For me, it's about as good as a modern bush rose can get. Do yourself a favor.

Here is a link that might be useful: MoP @ HMF

Comments (11)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Oh, it looks gorgeous, but after about 8 years of growing roses (moving every 2 years or so) and always having good shrub roses that never seem to have fragrance - I'm totally fixated on fragrance right now. I deserve fragrance! LOL :)

But that rose is seriously gorgeous. It does tempt me. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Lovely, lovely.

Carol

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Maybe it's just my monitor (but it's usually pretty accurate) but that rose is described as pink -- but all of the photos look apricot/orange.
    Which is it, really?

Jeri

• redsox_gw
    13 years ago

I have it too, planted 2009. It is apricot. I would not call it orange. With a very slightly pink tone but not pinkish. I got it because my Husband's Mother was named Pearl. She has passed on; I never got to meet her.

When I told my Hubby about it I thought he would go cuckoo over it but instead he said "oh...great." That was it.

In any case, I really enjoy it as well and I agree, the blooms last for a while. A keeper!

• michaelg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can someone comment on hot-weather performance or mildew/rust susceptibility? The flower size and quality have held up here with temperatures in the high 80s.

I would have classified it as apricot blend or peach blend. I have never seen it either pure pink or orangey.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

On HMF it's given an "excellent" for heat tolerance and the Member's Comment doesn't mention disease at all, only that it's done really well over the course of several seasons.

Ingrid

• redsox_gw
    13 years ago

I checked mine this morning. It is really apricot, no yellow in sight as a true "peach" would be. The flowers have held up in size despite two weeks of well over 90 degree temperature. Some of my other rose blooms elsewhere are TINY!

I don't get mildew or rust.

• Cindy Ehrenreich
    13 years ago

I recommend this rose to everyone. Not only is it beautiful, prolific, & hardy, it has great disease resistance. I don't know about rust & mildew, but here in Blackspot Country (New England)the foliage is clean & spotless.

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Well, even thought I said I wouldn't get it because of its lack of fragrance - I got it. :0

My husband took me to a greenhouse and said that I needed more roses (no - you can't have him!). I didn't really, really want any of the roses there....but.....Wouldn't you get something? So I did. I got a bunch of smellies and I got Mother of Pearl. I'm looking forward to seeing the blooms.

Glad to know that it's so highly recommended!

Carol

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

One of my biggest problems with light colored roses is Thrips. Too many roses end up as lunch on their table instead of in a vase on mine. There are some light colored roses that aren't as attractive to them though. I'd be interested in comments on this aspect of Mother of Pearl too. It looks very tempting..Maryl

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

My roses have never had thrips. Well, they're probably there, but I've never noticed any thrip related problems. I get short summers and cooler weather - but the summers are just pure fun. No spraying, worrying, etc. Just go out and enjoy.

Maryl - hope someone else can answer your question. It does look very tempting!!

Carol

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!