Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

When do I pot up my bands...1g. to 3g.?

subk3
10 years ago

My spring bands have all been in their 1 gallon pots now for +/- 2 months and I'm wondering how to know when it's time to move them to 3 gallon pots. I've slipped a few of them out of their containers and they all have roots to the bottom of the pots some more so than others and none with so many roots that they are sneaking out the drain holes.

What do you think?

Comments (8)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

As quickly as they grow here this time of year, if the one in the photo was mine, I'd pot it to the next larger can. You MAY wait a while longer if you prefer, but in my conditions, what you show is suitable for expansion. Kim

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

In my experience I do the same as Kim recommended. They are READY!
    I moved Mermaid to a 5G today. Some of my roses are so vigorous and the others...NOT.
    Susan

• rosesinny
    10 years ago

Never?

I never really understood why you would move from a small pot to a larger pot rather than to the spot where you actually want the rose to grow. I have never repotted a rose in my life. I let them grow for most of the summer in the tiny bands they come in, usually in a shallow pan with about 1/2 inch of water on the bottom but sometimes just sink the band into the final home for the year. Then in the spring before budbreak, take them out of the pot and put them right back where they were.

If there's a good reason for moving up in pot sizes, I can't fathom it. Unless that is, you're going to grow the roses in pots anyway.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Because in many parts of the country -- think about the Southwestern United States -- hot, dry weather means that roses left in bands will soon be dead roses. Go look at the national weather forecast for the next several days.

That's why most suggestions should be local.

Jeri

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Not all roses are as fast growing, durable nor vital own root as budded. Some bands are going to explode as soon as they get their "feet" out of those tight bands. Many others simply won't. Some climates permit planting directly from the band into the ground. Many others, don't. If you're intending to put the rose in a particularly difficult spot, such as against a hot wall, or in a bed fronted, surrounded or backed by hot hard scape, the rose will be MUCH more successful if it has some plant mass and momentum under it than a small, immature stick with shallow roots might. Of course, conditions vary greatly from one climate and garden to the next, but there have been many complaints over the past two-plus decades bands have been available about how easily they are lost because they are so small, soft and immature. If you are able to grow your bands in those small pots successfully, great! Don't 'fix it' as it ain't broke. But, MANY of us are sure to lose them due to aridity, heat, wind, sun intensity, etc. Planting them into larger containers, permitting them to mature, develop root and plant mass before setting them free in the soil is the surest method of guarantying success. Even if my climate permitted planting bands directly in the garden, the blamed rabbits and squirrels would make sure they didn't survive. Kim

• subk3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Around here you have to plan on being able to water the younguns daily whether they are in the ground or not. Much easier to do that when they are lined up on the patio than scattered over my yard (and 40 acre farm!)

I've got mostly tea and noisette roses hardy only up to my zone so I'm trying to push them like crazy over the summer and get them as robust as possible before their first winter. Last year it was the warm weather roses in their first winter that had the toughest time over the winter.

Kim and Susan, thanks! Kim I used all black pots this year on your suggestion and I was really surprised as I slipped the roses out of their pots after the heat of the day as to how warm the soil still was.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I just got my final [well, maybe!] order from Vintage Gardens. All the bands look great but some of them look like mature roses they are so thick and big. I am wondering if I should pot them up in a bigger pot than a one gallon? Or if I should pot them all in one gallon pots and check the roots at the end of the summer. Thanks!
    Judith