o
what is this problem?

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 18:32

Not sure what is causing this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this problem?

I'm just guessing, but have you had a lot of rain? I'm thinking they might have balled up.In which case, I just remove them and hope for 'sunshine' - I'm sure if I'm wrong, some of the experts will correct me.

o

Probably a fungal disease called gray mold-- spreads in moist air and cool temperatures.

I think all you can do is deadhead the plant and throw away the ruined buds/blooms. Maybe you could spray, but that seems a waste of time since when it warms up, the problem will probably disappear on its own.

Kate

o

Thank u! At least now i have a name for this. It has happened in the past..but eventually stopped. I will just remove the flowers since i have recently treated the roses with bayer rose care.

o

The fungus is botrytis. This condition is also called "balling." In the garden, fungicides will have little or no effect. The problem will subside in warm or dry weather.

o

Thank u michaelg !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here