Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are these rose seeds and what can i do with them??

Posted by jameya zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 18:33

Hello all,
I am totally new to growing things and trying to learn some new things. Recently the guy whom lives next door to me wanted me to take a rose bush out for him. Some of it had died, but a small part of it was okay but he just wanted to put in a different rose bush in. There were these little hard ball like things all over the stems and i gathered up a bunch of them thinking maybe they could be seeds of some sort but am not sure. I asked him what they were and he said he had no clue whatso ever and had never noticed them before on roses (hes almost 90 years old, so i assume hes been around long enough to maybe have a clue?? Lol) so now i have quite a few of them...are they seeds and if so what can i do to see if i can get anything to grow with them,,
What do yall think?? Is it a lost cause or should i give it a go and see what happens?? If so. What exactly should i do to attempt to get it started??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are these rose seeds and what can i do with them??

Here is a few of them

o

What you are holding are "hips", seed pods. Roses are related to apples, so think of them as "rose apples". Inside there are achemes, what we call seeds. You can open the hips and dig out the seeds, but be careful of the fibers inside the hips. If you get them on you, it's as bad as fiberglass and you will itch like crazy until you shower to get them off you. Once the seeds are removed and all the pulp is cleaned from them, you can store them in a plastic bag in the vegetable crisper until fall/winter. Many who live in colder climates store them on damp, not 'wet', just damp, paper toweling inside ziploc bags until they see them begin to sprout, then they plant them individually. I live where I can (and do) plant outdoor for germination, so I'll let someone who lives in a colder climate and must handle them the way you likely should, give you advice from this point. But, yes, it might be possible for you to raise seedlings from the seeds those hips contain. Do it, you'll have fun! Good luck. Kim

o

Awesome...thank you for the info!! I live in zone 5 which gets snow and cold. A couple more questions..
okay, so i wait for fall or winter to start them?? When do you think would be best?? And since it will be cold out then, when i get the seeds out, do i just pot them up in dirt like i would regular seeds?? And do i leave the hips alone until the fall/ winter as is, and then get the seed part out of it, or get the seed out now and store them until then??
I have never tried this before and figured it would be something neat to try, but to be honest i dont think i am good at this. I have recently tried to start growing catnip seeds and impaitents and a couple others from seed, and for the life of me i cant seem to get anything to start or grow...but i am willing to keep trying, so any more helpful advice or thoughts will be appericiated :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here