Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowersrus222

how can you tell if your buying a rose bush that has been grafted

sunflowersrus222
10 years ago

I want to buy a new rose bush for my garden but don't want to end up with another that has been grafted only to end up with another Dr. Huey. Is there a way to tell when looking at it in the store that would indicate its been grafted? Are there any places online that do not sell grafted roses? Or would indicate that its been grafted? Also if you buy a rose root does that mean its not a graft? I've seen a few places online that sell the roses but you get a root. Just trying to avoid getting another grafted bush and having to deal with another let down.

Comments (4)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

My grafted roses usually come bareroot, so its easy to see the graft--it is that roundish knob at the point where the roots and the canes meet.

Occasionally I have bought a grafted rose that was already growing in a container, but usually nowadays, a rose growing in a container has a good chance of being an own root rose.

If you order regularly from the same nurseries, you probably know from their websites which type of rose they sell. David Austin roses, for instance, are usually grafted from the David Austin site, but if I buy the David Austin rose from Roses Unlimited or Chamblees, I already know my Austin roses will be own root--cuz that is what they sell.

Kate

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    10 years ago

Roses Unlimited has a large selection of own root roses.

But, roses on Dr Huey normally don't revert to rootstock unless the scion is killed off by winter or disease. I've had very good protecting the scion from winter by burying the graft below the soil line. Disease is may be a tougher problem to solve--many gorgeous roses have a genetic susceptibility to black spot that is often fatal in wet, humid climates, unless sprayed with effective fungicides. A well known BS magnet is Barbara Striesand--but the well known singer/actress can grow the rose named after her where she lives without BS issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Unlimited Web site

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

If the vendor says "own root", that is not grafted ("budded" is the correct term). The bare root vendors typically will say "grafted" or "own root". Most bare root vendors sell grafted on Dr. Huey, except the Canadians, who sell mostly grafted on R. multiflora, with a smattering of Manetti.

It is obvious when buying potted at the nursery: the grafted roses will have a large knot at the graft point, and the place where the Dr. Huey was cut off is usually visible. Most roses sold at local nurseries (including the big boxes) are grafted on Dr. Huey, save the Knock Outs (typically own root), and here the rugosas are sold own root.

See the photo comparing budded (grafted) vs. own root bare roots in the article linked below. Also, if buying locally, ask, they should know. If they don't know, move to another nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bare-Root vs. Container Roses (Whatâs the Difference?)

This post was edited by diane_nj on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 21:18

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your replies. Diane_nj thank you for that link. The photo on there illustrating the 2 side by side really helps. Now I know when i go to buy an established rose what to look for. I've seen quite a lot of the grafted roses. Tomorrow I'm going to a local nursery and will be on the look out. In my zone we do get some harsh winters so it would explain why my rose bushes come back the following year looking nothing like what I had planted. I didn't know they were grafted so didn't plant deep enough and the grafted plant died off. I certainly don't need or want another dr. huey rose bush.