Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebba1

HELP! rose midges, or something else?

bebba1
10 years ago

I'm having an infestation of something (pest? disease?) that causes all the TINY buds on my sprays of Clair Matin and Lyda Rose to droop, turn black and/dry up. Checking it out online, it looks kind of like botrytis, only there's no gray fungus-looking stuff at all. I did find a single rose curculio beetle but it escaped before I could kill it, and I've seen no more--besides, my experience with curculios has been their damage to larger buds and blooms, not these tiny, TINY unopened buds (though even the few blooms in the spray that do open have holes in them.) Wish I could upload a photo, but can't. HELP!

Comments (7)

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

Once the curculios have been breeding in your garden, they will go after any rose bud. I've even found them on 'Si'.

The curculios no longer breed in my garden and have to find it. When I see my first one, I disbud the whole garden for their estimated life cycle above ground. I saw my first one last night and have almost finished disbudding all of the roses in the back yard ... four more to go. Then I'll disbud the caged roses out in front.

I got almost a full first flush with undamaged blooms, but some of the roses where just getting ready to pop. The dang bugs have been active in other gardens for about four weeks.

Oh well, the roses will be healthier for the time out. The temps are headed for the triple digits.

Good luck with your roses.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• Thorntorn
    10 years ago

It is really important to get a correct diagnosis before you proceed on any course of action.

Is it possible to have a local rose expert examine either your roses right in your garden or take cut damaged tips to a dependable professional nursery for their diagnosis?

Rose Midge Fly damage is what I suspect, but of course, needs to be confirmed by an expert.

The damage comes in two forms, but always appears on newly forming growth tips.

Earliest Form
    The tips can range from shoots just beginnng to emerge from a stem at as short as only 1" long to a fully extended shoot, several inches long. just as the tiny bud (or bud cluster), begins to form they stop growing, stay frozen in size and when touched usually just fall off. The damage looks like a lit match was held to the tip in an attempt to burn it. The emerging foliage at the tip is brittle, stunted, shriveled and so dry it just disintegrates to powder when rubbed between your fingers. The forming flower falls off its burned stem. This stem must now be trimmed back to a thick section that will sustain satisfactory new growth and wait 45 days more (for a hy. tea), for a new flower to grow and to open on that stem.

Later Form
    Sometimes damage will occur to a growing tip when the flower is more advanced in its development. The female midge fly did not discover this luscious stem earlier. Some 'burning of tip foliage is seen, but the bud is still attacked to the stem although it is now severely stunted/disfigured. It has either a crooked neck, 90 degree bend, or part of it appears to have been bitten away, or both conditions may be found on the same bud. Such damaged flowers will continue to grow but are always undersized, monstrously ugly and misshapen when finally blooming.

There is no organic treatment for midge fly I am aware of. Bayer Complete Insect Control as a spray or soil drench works for me. I understand that grub proofing granules used on lawns are also effective when spread in rose beds, but I have never used this method.

Midge Fly will completely deflower your rose garden all summer long. This is the worst insect pest of roses in my garden.

Thorntorn

• Thorntorn
    10 years ago

It is really important to get a correct diagnosis before you proceed on any course of action.

Is it possible to have a local rose expert examine either your roses right in your garden or take cut damaged tips to a dependable professional nursery for their diagnosis?

Rose Midge Fly damage is what I suspect, but of course, needs to be confirmed by an expert.

The damage comes in two forms, but always appears on newly forming growth tips.

Earliest Form
    The tips can range from shoots just beginnng to emerge from a stem at as short as only 1" long to a fully extended shoot, several inches long. just as the tiny bud (or bud cluster), begins to form they stop growing, stay frozen in size and when touched usually just fall off. The damage looks like a lit match was held to the tip in an attempt to burn it. The emerging foliage at the tip is brittle, stunted, shriveled and so dry it just disintegrates to powder when rubbed between your fingers. The forming flower falls off its burned stem. This stem must now be trimmed back to a thick section that will sustain satisfactory new growth and wait 45 days more (for a hy. tea), for a new flower to grow and to open on that stem.

Later Form
    Sometimes damage will occur to a growing tip when the flower is more advanced in its development. The female midge fly did not discover this luscious stem earlier. Some 'burning of tip foliage is seen, but the bud is still attacked to the stem although it is now severely stunted/disfigured. It has either a crooked neck, 90 degree bend, or part of it appears to have been bitten away, or both conditions may be found on the same bud. Such damaged flowers will continue to grow but are always undersized, monstrously ugly and misshapen when finally blooming.

There is no organic treatment for midge fly I am aware of. Bayer Complete Insect Control as a spray or soil drench works for me. I understand that grub proofing granules used on lawns are also effective when spread in rose beds, but I have never used this method.

Midge Fly will completely deflower your rose garden all summer long. This is the worst insect pest of roses in my garden.

Thorntorn

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    10 years ago

I have a few observations that might help.

Dr Huey, a vigorous rootstock rose, is a very attractive target for midge. You might be able to use it as a midge trap, regularly pruning off the infested new growth. You may also be able to trap midge with sticky traps close to the ground--white has been suggested at the best color, but I've used yellow since that is easier to find.

An indicator of midge damage is the color black--the ravaged parts of the rose will often turn black.

I've tried removing visible larvae from the roses but that had little effect--it could be that they would have been picked off by predators anyway. Logically, the midge inside the buds would have the best chance of survival--so this year I'm removing any buds and foliage with signs of midge.

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Please attach photos. Ideally close-ups of affected damage.

• User
    9 years ago

Bumping