Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leah45

ID rose problem

Leah45
10 years ago

Hi all. I'm having troubles with my Golden Celebration climber. Last year it was as healthy as they come, but this year it has been hit by muliple pests. I used soapy water to manage leafhoppers and whitefly, but now the leaves are starting to wilt and blacken. Is this damage from the insects, or something else? I've looked up images of black spot and anthracnose, and they don't see quite right. Any ideas about the issue, or what I can do?

Here is a link that might be useful: More images

Comments (12)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Do you have a flatbed scanner? If so, you could scan those leaves, showing us the top side and underside of an affected leaf. OR maybe you can shoot more close up. I can see a discoloration, but not in enough detail even to guess at what it might be.

Jeri

• Leah45
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jeri. I don't have a scanner, but I clipped some leaves to get a better photograph of the front nd back. Here is the front:

• Leah45
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the back:

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Could be the soapy water, residue smothering the leaf stoma. How soapy was it? What kind of soap?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Looks like soap damage to me. Often, sprays run down to the lowest points and pool. Let sunlight and heat hit and the chemicals in the soap, or fats in the insecticidal soap can burn the leaf. Kim

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Yes. That'd be my guess.

I know one rose exhibitor who used dish soap and water one spring, and lost every bit of foliage. All burnt like that.

It's why I don't use dish soap, and don't use insecticidal soap. Oils will do that, too -- and I've seen it happen when the sun was intense, even in temps under 75 deg.

I've seen whitefly on rose foliage, btw, but not often, and not recently. They seem to pick one or two roses, but they prefer things like begonias or brugmansias -- or citrus. I've never seen them colonize roses.

You know, using any sort of insectide on whitefly is self-defeating. Their life-cycle is such that the die-off lasts only days, and a new generation hatches. And you kill beneficials. You might, instead, look for plants they ARE colonizing, and get rid of them there. Do you know what their "nests" look like? Little fuzzy white spirals underneath host leaves.

Jeri

• Leah45
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used about a teaspoon of Seventh Generation dish soap added to 32 oz of water. It also rained that afternoon, which would have washed any residue off. In the future, should I use less? Or rinse it off immediately?

• Leah45
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. The major infestation was the leafhoppers-- they were incredibly thick on the plant. Next time I'll just use the hose to avoid soap damage (and the dreadful feelings of guilt).

• Leah45
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. The major infestation was the leafhoppers-- they were incredibly thick on the plant. Next time I'll just use the hose to avoid soap damage (and the dreadful feelings of guilt).

• Leah45
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• Leah45
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ack, I'm not sure why that posted so many times. Sorry for the triple post.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Use less? Truthfully? I wouldn't use it at all.

Jeri