Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Love Song Planting

Posted by nickjoseph 5 Miwaukee, WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 18:51

When I planted the lavender (Love Song)--we dug a deep hole so the graft knot would be covered by at least 2-3 inches. I know we covered it, yet there is this knob sticking above ground. Maybe it had a huge graft knot, because there were branches very low that possibly I couldn't cover it anymore without burying a bunch of branches with it. I hope I didn't plant it wrong. It seems a little shaky when I gently push on it, but I know it's buried deeply. Maybe cuz the roots are not established yet.... I'm watering every day & babying it. Even brought up a thinner branch & gently tied it to a bamboo stick to hold it up. I've never killed a bush in all my years of planting them, but this just makes me nervous. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Love Song Planting

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 19:34

Nick, is there any way you can get a picture of the knot you're talking about so we can see what's going on?

o

seil, unfortunately we are in the "dark ages". We do not have a smart phone, only a basic cell phone with no camera options. Maybe if a friend or one of my nieces pop over--I could have them take a pic of it for me & somehow get it on here. Like I said, I know we were cognizant of burying at least 2-3" the graft knot--so we dug a deeper hole. All I can think of is that the graft knot is bigger. If we would have put the bush in any deeper, we would have ended up burying a lot of the lower branches. I doubt that the soil washed off to that place because we buried it in a deeper hole. I put all the soil back in & patted very strongly so there was no loose soil.

o

I had an issue with my Love Song too. I moved it to two different locations and finally just placed it in a large pot. Here is the image taken today when the temperatures have been I n the low 100s. It has numerous buds on it. This bloom that has gotten my attention for the past three days. If you can figure out what it needs, the bush and blooms are definitely worth it.

photo Lovesong_zps8137dac9.jpg

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 22:44

o

That is beautiful. I am have love song on my list for next spring. Does it have a good re-peat bloom?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 21:56

Yes, boncrow, my Love Song repeats wonderfully all season. It also has good disease resistance and is very fragrant!

o

Nick - Good luck with your Love Song, it is a beautiful rose and hopefully yours will do fine, I think you will really enjoy it, it's a good bloomer. Love your picture desertgarden. Boncrow, both of mine have good repeat bloom. This bloom was from my recent spring flush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here