Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottnmd

moving established roses from old house to new house in the fall

dottnmd
10 years ago

hi, been a long time since I have been to GW! Illness and life took over but slowly getting back into the mojo. I have a huge question about moving my roses to a new house/garden. We are moving to our own house in the fall and I figured I would just eventually replace all the roses I have at our current location but everyone is giving me heck about leaving them to an abandoned property that will never be occupied again. I am still debating all the work involved.

I have lots of knockouts( pink, dbl, yellow, light pink) a few austins with own roots, fairy's . I have another that is a climber and the name eludes me but I know it's pink thornless and doesn't mind shade.

It is june and we are just getting into the hot season and wanted to know what your thoughts were on potting my roses up and taking them to the new house in the late fall for overwintering?

Comments (3)

• TNY78
    10 years ago

I'm about to have the same issue. We are moving from our 1 acre home, to 10 acres probably in the late fall or early winter. I have about 200 roses in the ground here. I'm planning to bring as many as I can with us since we're only moving about 10 minutes away. I'm only going to bring the ones that I'm in love with or can't be easily replaced. I've already started rooting some of the larger ones, and the smaller ones I'm planning to dig up and transplant once they go dormant.

I'm interested to hear what others recommend for you, so I can also use their ideas!

Tammy

• dottnmd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tammy, I am going from 10 acres to 1 acre, LOL. We are moving 15 mins away. I hope someone chimes in. I can't wait till mine go dormant unfortunately and I am not much good at rooting lately.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Traditionally, before the technology of refrigerating them was developed, most new roses were planted as bare-roots in the late fall. Transplanting roses as bare-roots is much the easiest way to do it. In your zone, there is a risk that a warm December could cause roses to grow out, freeze back, and deplete the plants or even kill some of them. However, that's the way I'd do it, as opposed to the expense and labor of potting. Just dig them with 12" roots and canes, strip all leaves, label them and bag them. Store in the shade until you can plant. They should keep well at temperatures mostly between 25 and 40 degrees Remove any growth buds that break before spring. After planting, spray the canes with dormant-strength Wilt Pruf.