Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dntquilter

Tender loving care, sort of...

DNTQuilter
10 years ago

Oh my, I'm a guy. So as you know, we don't generally read instructions.

After planting two bare root roses from Edmund's 9 days ago, I learned about soaking first, and to not give high organic soil or feed. I did all of the above.

Needless to say I watered the sticks just about every other hour for 2 days to hopefully make up for not soaking.

I'm not sure how to get two pictures in a post, so here is the Chrysler Imperial. The Good as Gold is doing well too.

Scott in PA

Comments (13)

• Maude80
    10 years ago

Looks pretty good to me:)
    Maude

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Maude. I was mortified when I discovered that I may have killed these two roses.

Scott

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

Scott, at least your not like me and over did the watering. I followed the instructions to the letter and besides all of the rain we got I also watered mine lol.

Live and learn right? Yours looks great to me. Mine is turning yellow with black spots ... oops!

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Scott,
    The new growth looks great. Just hang in there.
    How long did it take to get your bareroots after ordering? I ordered Stephen's Big Purple but hasn't arrived yet.

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

French,

I ordered on a Saturday, and it arrived 2 Monday's later.

Scott

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Looks pretty darn good to me!

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Beth.

I'm glad I prepared a really deep bed and worked better soil into the ground. I have excellent drainage there, so for as much I watered them the first 48 hours, the water would just sink into the ground. Here's a picture of the Good As Gold.

Scott

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Thanks Scott, maybe I'm just being impatient after seeing yours *grin*
    I soak mine and mix fresh soil but i also water with Miracle grow Rose formula right away. That's it. The last 2 did great with no sign of trauma so far.

I hope you post pics of yours and keep us updated!

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

French~

I know it's hard to have patience, especially with something so bizarre as a bare root plant. I mean, who'da thunk? LOL

We had rain last night and they are getting nice sunshine today with more rain coming tonight. I think they look even bigger today than last night. Certainly not worthy of pictures.

I keep hearing in the caverns of my brain something that I read on this forum... "Roses love to grow". Just remember that. Apparently it is true.

Good luck with yours, and keep us posted. I'll do the same.

I read that it could be 8 to 12 weeks until a bare root rose will bloom. While I'm not interested in seeing copious blooms on the plants, and will likely remove some buds, I would like to see that the blooms look like this season. Time will tell.

Scott in PA

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Scot, those look like healthy roses starting to break dormancy to me. Not to worry! Just give them some time to grow and you'll have blooms in no time!

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the encouraging words, Seil.

Scott

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Looking good DNTQuilter! :)
    -----------------------------------

sunflowersrus222,

We have a large calendar hanging in which I write down the days it rains, when I fertilize or whatever...
    Keeps me on track... lol
    We have had so much rain that I only have had to
    handwater my newly planted baby Heirloom Roses once since May 15th...

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

Same here Jim1961. Lots of rain. I've only hand watered mine 2x's. Loads of rain. Doesn't look like there is an end to the rain either. We get breaks from time to time but it's rained nearly every day.