Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazydaisies

High Voltage Roses = Love

I purchased High Voltage last weekend and it had a bunch of buds on it. One of them opened today & there are two more buds about to open!

I am just in LOVE. I thought I would share it with you guys since you totally understand how exciting this stuff is. :o)

Anyone else here grow HV? I'd love to see pictures of yours if you have them!

This post was edited by thegardenat902 on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 19:13

Comments (11)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

That is beautiful! I can tell why your excited! I love to see the first bloom of a new rose. Thanks for sharing:).

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much!! The first bloom is really the most exciting part I think!! You can look at pictures online all you want but they are so different in person. :o)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I partial to yellow roses, and that one is a beauty!

Kate

Original Author
    9 years ago

What yellow roses do you have Kate? I think I'd like to add some more yellow roses to my garden. They are so pretty.

Thank you :o) I am quite happy with it!!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Nice looking bloom!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jim!! :o)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

I put four High Voltage into a new front bed last year and I must say I was impressed with several things: the rebloom rate was very good, the disease resistance was terrific, and the winter hardiness was astounding. The only thing that I needed to prune off any of the four after the most brutal winter we've had in recent memory was a few canes that pushed out in early September and weren't sufficiently hardened by the time real cold weather came along. Otherwise they came through like real troupers - and are loaded with buds right now that I expect to have open any day. That may seem late to many of you, but up here in the north we are so far behind the usual schedule - probably at least by 3 weeks - that many of my roses are only just beginning to bloom.
    Anyway, I certainly would recommend High Voltage for anyone in zone 5.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Anne. Thank you so much for your feedback about HV. I am glad to hear they are doing so well for you already!! How large are yours now?

I am quite relieved to hear that they survived last winter for you. I am quite tense about buying roses now after last year. I lost a 12 year old knock out that the PO had planted 12 years ago. Found out when I dug up the dead rose and found the tag from 2002.

Would love to see a picture of your beauties! So far I have 3 blooms open now and I have to say this may be my favorite rose I own now. It's just gorgeous.

Michaela

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

And have you noticed they have fragrance, too? Bonus!
    Right now mine are about 2' wide by 2 to 2-1/2" tall with some new canes that promise a bit more size added this year; I'm hoping they stay about 3x3. I will try to remember to post a photo when the entire bed (the High Voltages, Stella D'Oro's and Rozanne geraniums) is in bloom. I actually hope the roses hold off opening for another week; I am experiencing peak time for rose chafer beetles and if the HV's open, they'll be sad little chewed rags before the end of the day, light colored petals being one of their first targets! :-( Peak numbers for these evil bugs should drop off in another week or so - but what will be will be. It's amazing how they time their emergence to coincide with the roses first flush - no matter how early or late it might be.

• bunnicula03
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I do love ruffled blooms. Some other good yellows (in my area) that I have are Julia Child, Bernstein Rose, and Welsh Gold - the latter one having more warm tones in it than just yellow.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Anne - I have not noticed that! I better go out and smell the roses. :o)

That's great I hope they do get bigger for you! I can't wait to see this rose bush once it's established. Woo! Mine is out in the open so it can really get as big as it'd like!! Sorry to hear about the bugs getting your blooms. Hopefully they hold off for you a little longer. And I sure can't wait to see your pictures!!

bbunnicula - thank you!! I have heard great things about Julia Child. I will definitely be checking out the ones you have. :o) The High Voltage blooms are a lot more of a pale yellow than I expected from photos but I love it!