Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time for a little whine

Posted by Susanne27 5a Ontario Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 19:11

Maybe a little wine as well, LOL. Earlier today I was out in the garden doing battle with the chafers and rose slugs that are skeletonizing my roses. While I was attacking the bugs, the bugs were attacking me - mosquitos, black flies and deer flies. I really hate a deer fly bite because they take chunks!
Add to that the extremes we now have in weather conditions and I am wondering why I bother at all. Fortunately I know that this is just a mini pity party and I will be back out in the garden tomorrow and loving it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time for a little whine

Well, I feel ya on the blood sucking bug attacks. I get mosquitoes so bad on warm summer evenings that I can't go out and work, they'll chase me back in.

Maybe a little wine is the key afterall....

o

Stupid bugs.
I did this yesterday - and it worked.
I took some oregano that I was growing and rubbed it all over my legs and arms. The mosquitoes would fly in, then leave. ??? Maybe it worked??
Carol

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 21:02

Yes, this has already been a real bug fest season, hasn't it?! I was hoping the dratted polar vortex would have been good for killing off some of them but it doesn't seem like that's the case. If anything there are more than ever!

o

Here, it's not bugs. It's that we no longer have rain, and our groundwater is increasingly problematical.

Perhaps I am truly insane. I have, after all, devoted much of my life to Dalmatian dogs. But I will keep going, using dishwater, where needed, and considering a greywater system for the future, because I MUST.

o

I too toss any, and I mean any, kitchen water, outdated milk, etc. into the garden. Our subsoil is drying out which is bad. About ? 30 years ago the drought was so bad and the subsoil got so dry that concrete foundations were cracking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here