Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maude80

Bayer disease control question

Maude80
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask a question about Bayer disease control. Once it is mixed (I do 1 1/2 tablespoons per gallon of water) does it all need to be used at once. I ask because I always have a little left over and I'm wondering if it can sit for two weeks until the next spraying and then be used? Or is it best to always make it fresh? Any thoughts?

Maude

Comments (13)

• DNTQuilter
    10 years ago

Maude,

I'm sorry that can't help you. I sprayed the 3in1 and use the 2in1 granules.

I can tell you that the Bayer products are amazing. I would much rather go organic, but that's just not in the cards here.

Scott

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Maude, it is best if you use up all the spray you mixed up. When I end each spray session, I rinse out the container with fresh water, then fill it up about a quarter of the way with just water, and spray that water through the wand--even taking off the little nose thing on the end of the wand to make sure the 3-4 holes are not at all clogged up. If I don't go through that process, sooner or later the sprayer is going to clog up.

Besides, I don't think it is advisable to keep containers of dangerous materials around--in case someone mis-uses them.

Cut all the amounts in half and then use it all up with each spraying--that would be my recommendation.

Scott, you certainly can make your own choices, but I suggest you might want to re-think your use of the Bayer 3-in-1 or 2-in-1. They contain "extras" that you don't need.

The Fertilizer is not as good as the more organic RoseTone (or HollyTone or PlantTone)--and if you are already using something like RoseTone, you don't want to be doubling up on fertilizers every time you spray.

And the insecticide is not recommended by most gardeners on this forum--because it kills off the good bugs as well as the bad guys--which leaves your plant even more dependent on insecticides--which kill off good and bad bugs, etc. Insecticides should almost never be used, and then, only for a specific bug, not as an all-purpose kill-all-the-bugs preventative.

That's all I have to say on the subject. Like I said above, you are certainly entitled to your own opinions on these matters.

Kate

• DNTQuilter
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input, Kate. Please know that it isn't falling on deaf ears.

Last year, my first year with Roses, never once did I feel the need to spray. That was our off year where the landscapers didn't mulch. A few days after this year's mulching all heck broke loose out there. I felt the need for drastic measures.

I will take a more conservative approach in the weeks to come. I'm hoping that the balance of this season will be like last year.

Scott

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Scott, my roses would never make it through a season in a no spray garden. I am not shamed by using what I need to to protect my investment. Bayer granules are wonderful, granted i can't use them for culinary but at least they provide me some joy rather than dead.

Sarah

• DNTQuilter
    10 years ago

Sarah,

I feel the same way about protecting the investment.

Interestingly enough, within two days of spraying the lady bug nymphs were back on my Barbra Streisand rose, and the rose slugs are still gone.

All is well out there, but most of the bushes are just green. The first flush is over and new growth is rapidly appearing.

Oh, but Mr. Lincoln has two gorgeous buds on it yet.

Scott

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Solutions of this product should be used shortly after mixing. They do not keep well.

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Wow! your Lincoln looks so good, and I don't even like red roses. I heard he smells heavenly too.

At least you've gotten to enjoy a flush already (jealous), I sadly had to SP 2 and replacements aren't ready to bloom yet. So keep those pics coming!

• buford
    10 years ago

I don't think mulch caused blackspot. Blackspot is always there, just waiting for the right conditions. My roses were BS free the first year until the fall then they fell prey to fungal diseases. It just takes some time.

The 3-1 product is a drench, not a spray, is that the one you use? Also if you are using the 3-1 drench, you shouldn't need the 2-1, unless you are alternating.

• Maude80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the info guys:)

Maude

• michaelg
    10 years ago

The 2-in-1 fertilizer/insecticide contains the most dangerous chemical available to home gardeners (Di-syston or disulfoton), and it should not be available, IMO. This is not just a question of opinion but of understanding that a dose of fertilizer contains enough poison to kill a child.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I will add one more comment--since at least one poster seems to have misunderstood my point.

I have several reasons for not using Bayer 3-in-1 and 2-in-1 (Michaelg's point above being the most convincing reason!)

I do not object to using the Bayer Advanced Garden Disease Control for Roses, Flowers, and Shrubs--it is just a fungicide--none of that "extra" stuff that I object to is included in this fungicide. You have to get it at Lowes or order online.

What I'm saying is, I do not object to spraying for BS (though I do as little of it as possible). What I object to is using the 3in1 or 2in1.

If you need to spray for BS, use the Bayer Garden Disease Control instead--but also check the numerous posts on this forum that suggest ways to cut even the use of the Bayer Garden Disease Control down to the least amount you can get by with.

Kate

• hartwood
    10 years ago

In answer to the original question ... when I have a little bit of spray left in my sprayer, I go back and respray the roses that I know are the most susceptible to blackspot. The diluted solution doesn't keep, and it's bad for your sprayer to leave it in there.

For the side discussion on the use of combo products ... I always recommend that folks take the most direct, most effective way to solve a given problem. Fungus on rose leaves? Spray fungicide on the leaves. (Instead of using granules or a drench on the soil then hoping that the rose takes up enough of the chemical to be effective.) I don't use insecticide of any type in my garden ... not even soap.

• DNTQuilter
    10 years ago

Buford - I realize the BS didn't come from the mulch. I stand corrected, as my post did imply that I was attributing the powdery mildew and BS to the mulching.

Kate - I respect your opinions on the multiproducts, and I thank you for expressing them. I set out to get the Bayer Advanced Garden Control last weekend, but alas, Lowes did not have it.

I did what I did, and hopefully I won't have to do it again. However, I could not have what looked like flies and more on S%^& in my front yard for any length of time. I am 100 percent certain that the flies etc. came from the mulch.

Scott