Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parade Climbing rose questions

Posted by jess2132000 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 19:29

I just bought this rose.. How fast does it grow? What other rose might look good with it?? Anyone have a photo of theirs????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parade Climbing rose questions

Climbing sports of hybrid teas are notorious for not blooming much or repeating well. Occassionally you will find one that does, but thats the exception, not the rule.

o
Opps

Must be age. For some reason, every time I looked at this post I saw, "Peace" instead of Parade.

o

Good repeat. Great color and it is VERY vigorous. The parent is New Dawn, so it has the same spirit, wants to take over the whole yard.

Olga

o

Thanks Olga!!!!
I am glad I bought her!!! How old is yours? Do you need to spray her??

o

The large flowered climbing, Parade, is not a sport. It was bred as a climber. Both of it's parents are climbers. The seed parent is an seedling of the irrepressible New Dawn with an unknown rose. The pollen parent is the climbing sport of World's fair. And Parade has certainly inherited excellent climbing attributes, but carrying more and better flowers. Our Parade has reached a height of 12 feet, but is a massive 15-20 feet spread - with pruning. So give it lots of room. The spring flush is breath taking, but like most climbers, it took about 5 years to reach it's potential, although there were good flushes from the 3rd year onwards.

Complaints? Well, let's see - no fragrance, gets the black spot late in the season. But I totally forgive it for it's failings, for the amazing display it gives us.

Here are some of the older pictures of our Parade.

o

cactus joe,

Your Parade has no fragrance? That's odd. Mine certainly is fragrant.

robert

o

Nice photos? Do you have anything planted next to it? What other colors might look nice next to her. I was looking at yellows and light pinks?? I was also looking at Lavender Lassie but i have heard she needs alot of spraying and not sure I want to go with that..

o

Parade and Lavender Lassie have approx similar BS resistance. Both need to be sprayed to keep their leaves.
I have Excellenze von Schubert nest to Parade. It looks fine in terms of color, but EvS spring flush is always blooms earlier then Parade first flush and after that EVS hardly repeats, so it is just green.
I was thinking of planting White Cup as a Parade companion, will do it sometime soon.
Olga

o

Mine isn't as vigorous as Olga's. It took a while to grow. It's doing just fine now though. I have planted Violette next to it. The combination of colors and the size of the roses is delightful.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 10:22

My Parade is in its third year. I love the color and abundance of blooms. It is at the end of its first flush now, but I remember from last year that it will produce smaller flushes for the rest of the summer. For me, Parade has been healthier than Lavender Lassie was. Parade also produces more flowers after the first flush than Lavender Lassie.

I have Parade planted by a low stone wall with Awakening and Dublin Bay.

Here is a link to a picture. (hope the link works!) Sorry about the picture quality - My camera seems to only want to do closeup shots right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parade and Awakening

o

Very beautiful rose. I really love the color.
Please someone tell me is Parade Climbing rose doing well in hot zone?

o

Where can a buy Parade Climbing Rose?

o

o
Help! Was RE: Parade Climbing rose questions

Can anyone tell me how to prune Parade so it looks like Olga's last photo?
Thanks!
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here