Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We have some blooms!

Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 19:36

Hurray! The season has finally started! I'm a good two weeks behind normal.

Bees Knees, new this spring
Bees Knees photo 2014_06020006_zps68aef9fa.jpg

Eyeconic Pink Lemonade, it wintered very well!
Eyeconic Pink Lemonade photo 2014_06080010_zpsab8706d8.jpg

Isolde Hit, a hardy little grocery store mini.
Isolde Hit photo 2014_06080016_zps3d8c4894.jpg

Marriotta, new this spring
Marriotta photo 2014_06070090_zps1c581e52.jpg

Love Song, a replacement this spring
Love Song photo 2014_06070093_zps51056d35.jpg

Moonstone, new this spring
Moonstone photo 2014_06080008_zps77baabc5.jpg

Reine des Violeettes, hardy and the only one that didn't need to be cut to the ground.
Reine des Violettes photo 2014_06080017_zps1874575f.jpg

Rose de Rescht, hardy and growing back fast!
Rose de Rescht photo 2014_06080018_zps37847ce7.jpg

Tiffany, new this spring
Tiffany photo 2014_05310008_zps720e0de9.jpg

X-Rated, the only potted mini that survived winter
X-Rated photo 2014_06070089_zps2d8f5a8d.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We have some blooms!

Wow, such beautiful blooms. Worth all the wait and effort.
Love rose gardening, such stress relieving hobby.

o

Seil - I am so excited that you finally have blooms! I really like your Marriotta, Moonstone, X-rated and Love Song. They are all lovely, can't wait to see more.

o

Nice to see some of your blooms seil! :)
Very nice!

o

Beautiful. Marriotta has such a unique look. Enjoy your beautiful roses.

o

Love your photos and happy to see your Marriotta is doing well :)

o

They're looking great. Feels good don't it?? My late spring flush is just coming to an end. The roses that survived seem to be doing well. Things are looking great for summer and fall.

o

Congratulations, Sharon! Better late if ever! Kim

o

Congrats, they all look great especially Bee Knee's and Moonstone.

o

Glad you finally got some blooms! I'm sure many more to come.

o

Beautiful! I love them all & hope they continue to do well. I too ordered a Love Song this spring & am enamored with the color & number of blooms.

Here's to a great rose year!

o

You have some stunning blooms! Love all of them, particularly Best Knees and Lovesong.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 9:18

Thanks everyone! It does feel good after that long winter and then such a disappointing spring. But all the dead plants are gone now and I'm only looking forward!

o

What a difference a few weeks makes. Last month many of us were down in the dumps after seeing the toll this past winter took on our roses. But we soldiered on, and look at those blooms now!

o

Those are all gorgeous! I know it was disappointing to lose such a big number of roses, but how exciting to see so many new ones blooming now. Moonstone is one I've always admired, but never grown. Yours looks great! The coloring of Bees Knees is making we weak in the knees, and that Marriotta is precious. Keep those pictures coming!

o

I love that pic of Bee's Knees. Don't know why I never got one since I have admired it for a long time.

Kate

o

Bees Knees and Moonstone are some of my favorites. Love Song looks so pretty. I received mine from Edmund's almost 3 weeks ago. It will be a few weeks before I have blooms. Thanks for posting the pictures!

o

Very, very pretty, after such a bad winter! Moonstone is glowing, not that it's the only one!
Lynn T

o

Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 19:51

Thank you all! I'm glad you're enjoying them.

o

Bees Knees looks scrumptous. Love your photography and look forward to seeing all your new replacements.

o

Looks great, Seil, and these are a terrific antidote to the disappointments with the pot crew this winter. Isolde Hit is particularly intriguing, and I can't believe Eyeconic Pink Lemonade survived so well for you! That whole family of roses takes one look at me and melts like snow in July.

Have fun and thanks for posting these great pictures!

Cynthia

o

Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 18:49

thanks, Iris!

Cynthia, you know a lot of people said they didn't think EPL would winter well because of it's Persian hulthemia genes but the darn thing has been very hardy for me. Even this past super-winter she came out of the pot ghetto with green cane to spare and was one of the first ones to bloom.

o

Seil - you always do a terrific job of asking "why not" when people suggest roses might not do well for you, and your success with EPL is a great testament to your willingness to try zone pushing, not to mention skill and insight as a rose gardener! For me, I have never been able to get a hulthemia family rose to even last more than a few weeks in the summer, much less overwinter, so I can't speak to its hardiness one way or another. All I can say is it clearly seems to love your care and yard, and I'll have to enjoy it from afar in your lovely pictures.

Cynthia

o

Congrats! I know it's been a long wait and the lousy winter forced you to clean house a bit. But now you've got some great new roses, and there are some real beauties there! I love, love, love Moonstone and Bees Knees, and I've had my eye on Eyeconic Pink Lemonade. Yours looks great!

o

Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 18:39

I'm sorry to hear that, Cynthia, since I've found I really like the rose a lot.

Thanks, Bunnicula!

o

Seil, all through February, March and April when our first flush was happening I felt so sad for you and the others in polar vortex land ... now I envy you living where it rains all year long.
Bee's Knees - I never saw that before! Wow! Going on HMF right now.
Sylvia

o

Whoa! Such beauties...well worth the work and wait. Great pics!

o

Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 16:45

No worries, Sylvia, we're used to it, lol! But I do feel for all of you in drought country too.

Thanks, Martin!

o

Bee's Knees and Moonstone look astoundingly beautiful. I have two new roses to find, now! :D

o

Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 18:23

Lol, then I've done a good job of enabling, Joe!

o

Siel , they look fantastic ! I especially like moonstone , may have to add that if it's a florabunda. I wanted to ask you , I believe you said you use sweet allysum in your pots . I sprinkled seeds and now they are blooming in my rose pots very well but I wonder if my growth had slowed down bc of the allysum ? Is that something you have noticed or am I just paranoid ? :)

o

Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 10:58

Thanks, Lily! No I don't use allysum myself but I do know several people who do. I'll have to ask them if they notice any slow down. But if your roses have just bloomed that could be why they've slowed down too.

I do end up with petunias in some of the pots because they self seed everywhere. Some I let grow and they're pretty when the roses aren't blooming. It depends on the health of the rose in the pot though. Sometimes if I think the rose doesn't need the competition I'll yank them out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here