Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

We have some blooms!

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

Hurray! The season has finally started! I'm a good two weeks behind normal.

Bees Knees, new this spring
{{gwi:296782}}

Eyeconic Pink Lemonade, it wintered very well!
{{gwi:296784}}

Isolde Hit, a hardy little grocery store mini.
{{gwi:296785}}

Marriotta, new this spring
{{gwi:296786}}

Love Song, a replacement this spring
{{gwi:296787}}

Moonstone, new this spring
{{gwi:296788}}

Reine des Violeettes, hardy and the only one that didn't need to be cut to the ground.
{{gwi:296789}}

Rose de Rescht, hardy and growing back fast!
{{gwi:296790}}

Tiffany, new this spring
{{gwi:296791}}

X-Rated, the only potted mini that survived winter
{{gwi:296792}}

Comments (31)

• madri_gw
    9 years ago

Wow, such beautiful blooms. Worth all the wait and effort.
    Love rose gardening, such stress relieving hobby.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Seil - I am so excited that you finally have blooms! I really like your Marriotta, Moonstone, X-rated and Love Song. They are all lovely, can't wait to see more.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Nice to see some of your blooms seil! :)
    Very nice!

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

Beautiful. Marriotta has such a unique look. Enjoy your beautiful roses.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Love your photos and happy to see your Marriotta is doing well :)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

They're looking great. Feels good don't it?? My late spring flush is just coming to an end. The roses that survived seem to be doing well. Things are looking great for summer and fall.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Sharon! Better late if ever! Kim

• sweetvenge
    9 years ago

Congrats, they all look great especially Bee Knee's and Moonstone.

• buford
    9 years ago

Glad you finally got some blooms! I'm sure many more to come.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love them all & hope they continue to do well. I too ordered a Love Song this spring & am enamored with the color & number of blooms.

Here's to a great rose year!

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

You have some stunning blooms! Love all of them, particularly Best Knees and Lovesong.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! It does feel good after that long winter and then such a disappointing spring. But all the dead plants are gone now and I'm only looking forward!

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

What a difference a few weeks makes. Last month many of us were down in the dumps after seeing the toll this past winter took on our roses. But we soldiered on, and look at those blooms now!

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Those are all gorgeous! I know it was disappointing to lose such a big number of roses, but how exciting to see so many new ones blooming now. Moonstone is one I've always admired, but never grown. Yours looks great! The coloring of Bees Knees is making we weak in the knees, and that Marriotta is precious. Keep those pictures coming!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I love that pic of Bee's Knees. Don't know why I never got one since I have admired it for a long time.

Kate

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Bees Knees and Moonstone are some of my favorites. Love Song looks so pretty. I received mine from Edmund's almost 3 weeks ago. It will be a few weeks before I have blooms. Thanks for posting the pictures!

• thedogsLL
    9 years ago

Very, very pretty, after such a bad winter! Moonstone is glowing, not that it's the only one!
    Lynn T

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I'm glad you're enjoying them.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Bees Knees looks scrumptous. Love your photography and look forward to seeing all your new replacements.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Looks great, Seil, and these are a terrific antidote to the disappointments with the pot crew this winter. Isolde Hit is particularly intriguing, and I can't believe Eyeconic Pink Lemonade survived so well for you! That whole family of roses takes one look at me and melts like snow in July.

Have fun and thanks for posting these great pictures!

Cynthia

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, Iris!

Cynthia, you know a lot of people said they didn't think EPL would winter well because of it's Persian hulthemia genes but the darn thing has been very hardy for me. Even this past super-winter she came out of the pot ghetto with green cane to spare and was one of the first ones to bloom.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Seil - you always do a terrific job of asking "why not" when people suggest roses might not do well for you, and your success with EPL is a great testament to your willingness to try zone pushing, not to mention skill and insight as a rose gardener! For me, I have never been able to get a hulthemia family rose to even last more than a few weeks in the summer, much less overwinter, so I can't speak to its hardiness one way or another. All I can say is it clearly seems to love your care and yard, and I'll have to enjoy it from afar in your lovely pictures.

Cynthia

• bunnicula03
    9 years ago

Congrats! I know it's been a long wait and the lousy winter forced you to clean house a bit. But now you've got some great new roses, and there are some real beauties there! I love, love, love Moonstone and Bees Knees, and I've had my eye on Eyeconic Pink Lemonade. Yours looks great!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that, Cynthia, since I've found I really like the rose a lot.

Thanks, Bunnicula!

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

Seil, all through February, March and April when our first flush was happening I felt so sad for you and the others in polar vortex land ... now I envy you living where it rains all year long.
    Bee's Knees - I never saw that before! Wow! Going on HMF right now.
    Sylvia

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Whoa! Such beauties...well worth the work and wait. Great pics!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No worries, Sylvia, we're used to it, lol! But I do feel for all of you in drought country too.

Thanks, Martin!

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    9 years ago

Bee's Knees and Moonstone look astoundingly beautiful. I have two new roses to find, now! :D

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, then I've done a good job of enabling, Joe!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Siel , they look fantastic ! I especially like moonstone , may have to add that if it's a florabunda. I wanted to ask you , I believe you said you use sweet allysum in your pots . I sprinkled seeds and now they are blooming in my rose pots very well but I wonder if my growth had slowed down bc of the allysum ? Is that something you have noticed or am I just paranoid ? :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Lily! No I don't use allysum myself but I do know several people who do. I'll have to ask them if they notice any slow down. But if your roses have just bloomed that could be why they've slowed down too.

I do end up with petunias in some of the pots because they self seed everywhere. Some I let grow and they're pretty when the roses aren't blooming. It depends on the health of the rose in the pot though. Sometimes if I think the rose doesn't need the competition I'll yank them out.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?