Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minflick

My Porcelain Rose arrived from N.C.!!

minflick
10 years ago

I waited months and months for it to grow large enough... Not so patiently... Linda sent it once she felt it was ready. It spent 24 hours at the sorting center in San Jose, for some odd reason. I saw the mail truck pull up and ran to the front door - where I saw the postal worker crouched down in the driveway, picking up my mail which included a fairly squashed and deformed box... (She tripped on an enormous root in the driveway from the also enormous pine tree at the street). I told her I hoped she was OK, took my things, and opened the box. And, wouldn't you know, it was packed in so nice and snugly that the rose was just fine! So here it is in a 1 gallon pot out on my front deck where it gets some sun and some heat, but not many hours of either at a time. Very bright shade the rest of the time.

Melinda

Comments (8)

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

Melinda, I had to look it up as I had never heard of a "porcelain rose". helpmefind listed two, one a hybrid tea, the other a floribunda. Which is yours? They only had a picture of the hybrid tea, and that was just stunning. Would you say what nursery you got this from? I live here in S.C. so always interested in finding local rose growers that I don't know about!
    Your plant looks quite healthy!

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It DOES look good, doesn't it?!

Kim Rupert, the breeder, has listed it on HMF as a shrub - http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.63358. I bought it from Long Ago Roses, here: http://www.longagoroses.com/ as Kim has said here on the forum that she was one of the people propagating it (and I don't remember the other person/place). There is a link to contact her on her site.

I was interested in this because a) it's got some really pretty pictures out there, and b) Kim said that it can tolerate shade, of which I am over supplied.... And really, c) because I am a sucker for a pink rose!

Melinda

• Kippy
    10 years ago

what a cute rose! And glad it made it safe and sound

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Melinda! Thanks! I look forward to hearing how it does for you. Long Ago Roses is the exclusive source for Porcelain Rose. Linda is introducing it. We decided on the name because the pink and white petals have a good amount of green at their bases, resembling the coloring of fine porcelain. It can have prickles, but is usually very low prickle count. So far, it's been very healthy. It resulted from a cross of Lynnie X Pride of Oakland, so it contains Basye's Legacy, miniature, Pinocchio and China Doll. As soon as I report it's remained about two by two feet here, someone is going to have one shoot up to make a huge shrub, just as happened with Lynnie. But, that is the size the original seedling has remained.

In typical Basye's Legacy descendant fashion, it generates a cane terminating in a cluster of blooms. As those open and fade, a new cane terminating in a flower cluster is produced below the fading flowers. Happily, I can report this rose has NEVER been budded, period. All plants produced of it have resulted from cuttings taken from the original seedling. It roots well and grows perfectly own root. That's important because it virtually eliminates the potential for RMV. The prime method of infection comes from budding. Because of its heritage, I would expect it to be fairly cold hardy, but that remains to be seen. Neither Linda's nor my garden suffer any REAL "cold". Kim

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim,
    I'm in 9b, so I feel I don't get 'real' cold here either. I have around 18 days of 25-30 degrees sprinkled throughout the winter, which appear to bother my few roses not at all. Monsieur Tillier had a few frosty blooms go bad this winter, but only the bloom, not the bush. Nothing else had blooms on my few cold nights, and nothing else had any cold damage.

I completely fell in love with the picture of the buds you had collected, sitting on a grate. The mix of pink, white and some green was just beautiful, and I coveted it. Then to hear that it can tolerate some shade - cowabunga! Kim, if Linda is the only one propagating it, then I got VERY lucky to order it before she decided to discontinue shipping to the West Coast, since she dislikes the toxic dip things need to be shipped out here (can't say I blame her - that stuff stinks in addition to being nasty to use and be around).

I'll post regular pictures as it grows and I ponder where the heck I'm going to put it in the ground!

Melinda

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim,
    I'm in 9b, so I feel I don't get 'real' cold here either. I have around 18 days of 25-30 degrees sprinkled throughout the winter, which appear to bother my few roses not at all. Monsieur Tillier had a few frosty blooms go bad this winter, but only the bloom, not the bush. Nothing else had blooms on my few cold nights, and nothing else had any cold damage.

I completely fell in love with the picture of the buds you had collected, sitting on a grate. The mix of pink, white and some green was just beautiful, and I coveted it. Then to hear that it can tolerate some shade - cowabunga! Kim, if Linda is the only one propagating it, then I got VERY lucky to order it before she decided to discontinue shipping to the West Coast, since she dislikes the toxic dip things need to be shipped out here (can't say I blame her - that stuff stinks in addition to being nasty to use and be around).

I'll post regular pictures as it grows and I ponder where the heck I'm going to put it in the ground!

Melinda

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, after toughing it through our cold snap in early December, housed only in the gallon pot, Kim's little beauty has burst into bloom today. Pretty little thing, isn't it?!

Melinda

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Yes, it is! I like that shade of pink in particular. It's gotten good sized. Is that where you're going to plant it?

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone