Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinewife_gw

Need a white rose

marinewife
10 years ago

Need a white rose on the short side to plant with clematis....red, white and blue clematis with the white rose is what I'm goin' for. Thank you for any suggestions.

Comments (11)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Where are you located? The best rose for one area could be the worst choice for another area.

Jeri

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I'm in Zone 6 Midwest. If that is anything like your region, you might consider the hybrid tea Memoire (also called Ice Cream). It grows nicely for me.

Others I've heard highly recommended on this forum are Pope John Paul (hope I got the right pope there!) and Tineke.

If you want more of a smaller shrub with lots of (smaller) blooms all over it, you might consider Popcorn Gourmet--mine grows trouble-free here.

Or a mini that grows about 2 ft tall and sprawls about 2.5 ft wide is Green Ice--probably the steadiest bloomer in my garden

You can check out any of those further by going to helpmefind.com--wonderful resource.

Kate

• onewheeler
    10 years ago

The purest white rose I have grown is Frau Dagmar Haustrap, forgive the spelling, it might be wrong. In my zone 5b it does not get huge, about 3 feet tall, it is healthy with beautiful pure white blooms.

Valerie

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I'm sure you have a lovely white there, Valerie, but I think you have the wrong name for it. At least my Frau [Fru] Dagmar Hastrup is pale pink and so were all the pics I googled up to do a quick double-check.

Have you got a pic of your white? Maybe we can help ID it. : )

Kate

• onewheeler
    10 years ago

Guess my head was on backwards when I wrote that. Sorry. The real name is Frau Karl Druschki.

Valerie

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Bolero (aka, Bolero 2000). A compact, tidy shrub that is also fragrant. Palatine has (or hopefully will have in the fall when they open for ordering) Innocencia Vigorosa, which they say is 2'- 3' tall. Another possibility is the Polyantha, White Pet.

This post was edited by diane_nj on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 11:36

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Marie Pavie- Polyantha.

• nancylee2
    10 years ago

First, our thanks for your family's service for our country. As to white roses (BTW, I love the patriotic red, white and blue theme). I have good success with Bolero, John Paul II, Sugar Moon, and Maria Shriver. My favorite is Bolero, for me a smaller rose. It would help to know your location. If East Coast, others might have better input.

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

I just planted Morden Snowbeauty this spring and it is small still, but I'm already loving this rose. I think it would fit right in with clematis. Flowers are large and pure white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morden Snowbeauty

• bebba1
    10 years ago

Am I imagining it, or did I just get an email in the past few days saying that "Portland's Best Rose" for 2013 was Sugar Moon? When I Google it, I can't find it, and I don't know the rose at all, but it got spectacular comments.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I agree with Jeri - the best advice you will get on here is from folks who live in the same area you do. Please give us an approximate location, and then I'm sure locals will chime in with suggestions which will really be useful.

Many people do not realize that roses, even modern hybrid tea or shrub roses, all do better in some places than in others, for various reasons.

Jackie