Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why just one rose

Posted by greengrass1 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 19:51

One branch shot up from the ground and produced pretty mr lincoln. There are many stems one or two inches at ground level but don't seem to grow. Is this the way it should be?

photo 001-1.jpg

photo 002-1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why just one rose

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 21:41

Did you have to cut this rose back to the ground this spring because of winter die back? Chances are all those stumps with a few green leaves on them are from where you cut and that tall one with the bloom on it is a brand new cane that shot up this year. I have a number of roses that did the same thing. The leaves on the stumps came out first and have been feeding the plant so it could send out that new cane. Now it has more leaves and will start getting more food and energy and hopefully with some time and good care the rose will send up more new canes but right now it's working on building up energy to be able to do that. Keep it watered and give it some fertilizer and be patient.

o

hi Seil

This was a bare root that I bot at Walmart earlier this yr but you are exactly right that this rose is off a brand new cane. Actually you helped with the planting. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0415215915324.html
I watered every day for first week and now maybe every 3 days or so. Am I on the right watering schedule?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 14:50

Not knowing your weather conditions I can't give you watering advice. I will tell you that watering deeper, less often rather than just a little frequently is the better way to go. Your rose looks perfectly healthy so I'd say you're doing OK!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here