Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I be concerned?

Posted by thedogsLL 6B (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 20:03

Saturday, while pulling some weeds out of a long neglected corner of my yard, I found this tiny plant. I've had no roses set hips and have not seen any roses anywhere close to my house in a couple of years. Someone suggested to me that I should get rid of it, because it might be multiflora and might have RRD. It looks healthy enough,although I realize it's really young. I'd like to keep it and see if a) it survives, and b) what it turns into.

With all of your experience, am I risking the roses I already have if I try? Sorry about being so blurry - chilly wind came in and really, really dark clouds. I was kind of in a hurry when I realized I needed a photo!
Lynn T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I be concerned?

• Posted by subk3 7a/MidTn (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 20:16

It's not multiflora and it shows no signs of RRD to my eye--and I've seen a boat load of RRD infected multiflora. I'd certainly keep it. Mother nature sent you a wee gift dilivered by one of her carriers, enjoy!

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 20:20

Unless you took the pic last year you might want to fix the date/year on your camera.

Nice find...

o

A plant of multiflora is no more likely to have RRD than a plant of a garden variety. It's just that multiflora is all over the place where it can serve as a reservoir. Just watch the seedling like you watch al your roses.

Your plant is probably plain mf, but might be an interesting hybrid.

o

Great! Thank you, everyone. That's all good to know, and a big relief. OOPs on the date - I didn't realize the year was off. That'll get fixed like now.

*All* my roses consist of 4. I'm nowhere near where any of you are, just starting with not a lot of room in the sun. But yes, they get watched plenty as will this one. I'm really curious as to what it might turn out to be. If multiflora, as long as it's healthy and I can find a place for it, COOL!
Lynn T

o

That is such a sweet comment, subk3, about nature sending a "wee" gift. I really enjoyed reading it. Good luck watching your seedling, thedoggsLL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here