Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Definitely not Gene Boerner - what is it?

For the first time ever, I have a Vintage rose that doesn't look to be what it was labeled. Happens to everyone sometimes, but they definitely have the best record for accuracy in my books.

Anyway, there's no way this rose with 6 petals is Gene Boerner, but I have no clue what it is. The color's pretty accurate in this photo - a sort of coral tangerine color. You can see the foliage in the background, and it looks HT-ish to my eyes. Any guesses?

Cynthia

Comments (9)

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

There is an single, orange blend Hybrid Tea, named 'Irish Fireflame' that your rose reminds me of, but yours is more saturated in color.

If you bought your rose from vintagegardens.com I would suggest you send your query and photos there and ask Gregg Lowery if he can name your rose.

Lux

• nastarana
    10 years ago

It looks a bit like the floribunda 'Anna Wheatcroft'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna Wheatcroft at HMF

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Looks a little like Fred Loads as well.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Definitely NOT Irish Fireflame, guaranteed. Probably not Fred Loads, which is a HUGE shrub, nearly a climber in many climates. It COULD be either Anna Wheatcroft or Poppy. Anna can often show almost a white reverse to the petals. Poppy never does. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Poppy.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful responses! Emailing Gregg might have been an option a while back, but I just got the email saying how backed up Vintage is on emails with all the orders they've had coming in (yay, keep it up folks - there are still some great roses on the list!). That's why it's so nice to be able to pose this question to experts like you! The bush isn't very tall, although with a second year plant it's hard to tell (yes, I pinched off last year's blooms faithfully), so Fred Loads looks like an outside chance. I'll check for white tendencies on the reverse, but I think it's pretty consistent color on both sides of the petal so it'll be Poppy till I have reasons to think otherwise. HMF doesn't have any height predictions for Poppy - any guesses from everyone else?

Thanks for the ID everyone - it's kind of nice after all to end up with a relatively uncommon Soenderhousen rose, since Gene Boerner should be replaceable elsewhere. The color will be a bit of a contrast in my "pink and white" bed, but I suppose it could use some shaking up or I'll move it if it really bugs me.

Cynthia

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Good luck in your search. One thing to keep in mind also, is that while Fred Loads might be a very large shrub and almost a climber in warm zones, it stays relatively small in colder zones. I had it for about 4 years and it never reached much more than 4-5ft by end of season at most. The blackspot also kept it in check.

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Good luck in your search. One thing to keep in mind also, is that while Fred Loads might be a very large shrub and almost a climber in warm zones, it stays relatively small in colder zones. I had it for about 4 years and it never reached much more than 4-5ft by end of season at most. The blackspot also kept it in check.

• shopshops
    10 years ago

Wow. I am so happy to read this post! I have exactly the same problem. Did a sympathy purchase from Vintage this past summer. Was hoping to get Gene Boerner floribunda. My garden theme is also pink and white. So you can just imagine my surprise when this salmon red single petalled rose emerged. Regrettably, I was not as enthusiastic as you were. I sent an email including a picture of the rose and got no reply. I did not push for a refund because I understood the dire nature of the task that was facing Vintage this year. My plan was to give away the offender. However, in the Fall when another bud came up I fell in love with the runt. I am so pleased that I can now give her a name. I too think it is Poppy. I know she will contrast with my pink and white beauties, but perhaps I was beginning to get too monochromatic . So my new darling Poppy has a home here in North Texas. The other flip side to the "mistake " purchase is that I have never seen this rose growing in North Texas. So I'm happy to start a trend. Thank you Vintage and thank you Nippstress for sharing!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool - glad to be helpful, shopshops! If we both got the same substitution, there must have been an error somewhere earlier in the propagation process, so they honestly thought they were sending us Gene Boerner once they had the rose band growing at Vintage. It's good of you to be patient with Vintage since they've been down to bare bones staff for some time.

I agree that it's kind of fun to be "forced" to try something out of my comfort zone every now and then. Like you, I thought it would contrast with the pinks but it's really more of an accent plant among the more delicate colors. Since I also have burgundy roses in that bed for depth and lots of picotee or striped colors, Poppy seems to echo the darker colors without clashing. Surprising how well a little judicious contrast can liven up a bed, eh?

Anyway, glad to help and here's to expanding the trends for gardening in our districts!

Cynthia