Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Some blooms don't look so great

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I really do think I got spoiled last year, it was pretty much a starting over year for me with my roses, and it was a good year in many ways, including a plethora of gorgeous blooms. This year I was very pleased with my spring flush, I had some beautiful and plentiful blooms, but since then for the most part what has been blooming doesn't look that great. Does the beauty of your blooms vary from year to year, depending on the weather conditions?

The Perfume Delight shown was taken this evening, not that great looking.

Comments (14)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is another picture of Perfume Delight from mid July of last year. A big difference..

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 20:21

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

"Does the beauty of your blooms vary from year to year, depending on the weather conditions?"

Yes it does here too Sara Ann! But weather conditions here probably are not as intense as yours... Hang in there!

Right now we are just starting to get blooms for our first spring flush. It is cooler so thus the roseblooms look ok and have deep bright colors...

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Because of climate change and drought my roses have looked worse every year for the last three years. This year and the last year there wasn't much of a spring flush even due to the lack of winter rain, and of course in the summer it doesn't rain at all. As roseseek has also pointed out, the sun feels much hotter now even though the temperature is the same, possibly from the decreased ozone layer. In my garden I don't see much of a future for all but the toughest roses, something I would have never thought I'd say even four years ago.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    9 years ago

Last year my flower quality was not bad. I had some that were quite nice. It is a different story this year. With little rain in the winter and still being behind in rainfall through spring, along with temps that are just too warm, my flower quality at best is only fair. Most of them are poor. I see a lot of damage from a variety of sources. So, I understand your question quite well.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone. Right now the problem with mine seems to be high humidity, which is helping to bring some much needed rainfall, we had rain this morning. That is something we desperately need, so I guess it is worth sacrificing rose blooms to get that much needed rainfall. It is rare around here to have everything come together as well as it did last year, for most of the season we had just the right balance of everything.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Just a bit north of you, and we are scheduled for rain and gray skies for the next week or two (started already). I imagine we will have lots of roses not opening well (like yours--fungal problem due to the excessive moisture).

I also predict that we will have a big outbreak of blackspot in both our regions--since it is too wet to go out and spray a fungicide for the next couple weeks also.

In all the years I've gardened here, I've noticed that it is not uncommon for our region during the later spring season to have a couple weeks of lower temps and higher levels of continuous moisture--followed by an assortment of fungal problems in our rose beds! : (

Hang in there--the searing heat of July-August is bound to follow! Few fungal problems then, at least.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

There are so many things that can affect bloom quality, weather, soil, light, nutrients, pests and disease. And it's the conditions when the bud is forming that matter. By the time it opens the situation may have already completely changed. You have to think back to what it was like when that bud first showed up on the plant. Take heart, the next flush will probably be lovely!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Some of my roses have that look, too. I think mine is rain and thrips!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are still getting some much needed rain, but things seem to have moderated. Perfume Delight looked better today.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Glad its looking better for you! :)

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Oh yeah!! Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! Gorgeous rose!! Good for you!!
    Carol

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

Sara Ann, we are in the same zone, and our weather this last year has been pretty bad. I am not sure what affected my roses more, the drought or the cold, but I had to make drastic cuts to my roses to have a decent garden. We have to make choices when things are bad, and I chose to cut almost to the ground. That means that the new growth has nothing to hang onto. Many of my new shoots are being knocked over by the wind.

I never spray the entire garden. Recently I have sprayed for little beetles that seem to be heading for the house, but I do not spray for insects or fungus. The thrips are bad, and the roses will get all sorts of problems this year before they get larger.

Tracing your Perfume Delight to the ground, what does the cane look like? You know that a badly infected or damaged rose will often put out a good spring show, then fizzle. I think there is some energy in the cane that allows it to do this even though the cane itself is dying. Leaving the canes for the show is good, but sooner or later they need to be cut as the new ones often grow.

What I think is important is the entire rose, and new shoots. Considering your second bloom, I bet your rose is fine.

Sammy

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jim, Carol and Sammy. Sammy, I do believe my Perfume Delights are doing fine, I do appreciate your post, some good info..

Carol, I can't remember if you already have Perfume Delight or not. I was looking back at some old pictures and came across one of my Perfume Delights in a container and it was loaded with buds and blooms. It helped me remember that when I had one in a container it really was an excellent bloomer.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 7:18

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Lovely! I'm glad to see it's perking up.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County