Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
botched rose tree

Posted by saltarello (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 20:12

I am an amateur amateur gardener...we moved into a house with a very manicured garden which was high maintenance and over the past 5 years I have been filling in the giant garden with lots of hardy plants that need less care, well I bought a yellow knock out rose tree last year to add to the front garden and after the rough winter I noticed all of my regular rose bushes were growing but saw nothing with my tree, so, yes, I chopped it down. I didnt even dig it out because I didn't want to disturb the salvia and spiderwort and lilies....so fast forward a few weeks, yes, it has sprung up from the ground. MY question is, now what? It looks healthy and happy, but it's a stick with red leaves that's about 1.5 feet high, and I've been plucking the lower leaves off to encourage it into treeform again. Honestly, I just don't know what I'm doing!

Any help would be amazing! thanks, jaclyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: botched rose tree

It sounds like you cut off the budded rose that died in the winter freeze. What you would have left would be the rootstock rose. Guessing Doctor Huey.

He is a semi double once bloomer with red petals if you want to wait and see. Sounds like you will have to wait a while anyway to dig the rest of him out of the soil

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 11:45

If it's Dr. Huey it won't bloom this year. It will bloom next year on the canes it grows this year. Although it can be quite pretty when it blooms it's not the best roses and is a disease magnet. Once you cut the top off your Yellow Knock Out was gone forever.

o

Thanks for your knowledge. I'm not sure about Dr. Huey. I bought it from Lowes...so I guess I will wait and see what happens. I'm wondering if I should have just let it be a few more weeks and not cut it.

o

Take into consideration that, if this is Dr. Huey (and I suspect Kippy's right) it will be an enormous once-blooming rambler with "iffy" disease-resistance.

o

Not sure what zone you are in, but if it was very cold, the tree rose might have been doomed so don't feel too bad. But Doc Huey can become a beast.

When I moved to my apartment (my garden is at moms) the previous manager had a rose she LOVED. I had to promise to care for it. It had a giant half rotten trellis. The seasons where Rust, Mildew, Sawflies (the little holes), and red blooms that lasted for what seemed like a few days. After a couple of years I had enough of that beast and cut it out. It had a root like my arm under the patio. I dug and dug and clawed and scratched and finally got the beast out.

I now know that her prized rose was Dr Huey..... There is more growing on the other side of the wall that I keep trying to explain to the gardener to remove it is a weed....but he leaves the palm trees too so what can I do

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here