Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Is she a helpful spider ?

Hi everyone ! My roses are doing ok in their pots , most growing like crazy but I am battling an insect issue . Something is eating right out of my leaves and I think I have those slugs but I've not seen them . They are leaving the grey spots all over. I tried to be patient but I'm tired of my roses looking crummy , so I was considering an insecticide . Today I found this gal ( makes her sound friendly , calling her gal ! If she was in my house , she'd be dead). She is on my princess Alex of Kent rose . Never seen a spider like her before but nearby my dh found a beautiful orb spider . Anyway ... do u know what kind she is ? Should I be happy for her help ?

{{gwi:297374}}

My only real concern is when I move , we have to transport the roses and plants ourselves. If one decided to hang out in my car , and make an appearance while driving , I can't say I'll be able to react calmly !!
Just a few weeks ago , I pulled into a parking space at work , and when I was gathering my things, a black fuzzy spider crawled from under my seat . I almost cried ! Yuck !! ð³

Comments (11)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

If your worried remove the spider and place it at another location. Maybe use a piece of paper and push spider into a jar or container...

We need a pic of your damaged leaves to try and figure out what insect may be damaging your leaves... Thanks...
    Check underneath damaged leaves for rose slugs...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Spiders are carnivores and will not harm roses. So in that sense all spiders are helpful. They eat bad bugs, but they'll also eat beneficials, and other spiders.

• socks
    9 years ago

It could be a crab spider. Don't hurt it, just move it or have someone else do it if you don't want it on the bush.

Here is a link that might be useful: crab spider

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Socks , i think you nailed it ! It's nice to know they eat other bugs too that could be harming the roses. I appreciate everyone's responses !! I will take photos in the am of the damage and post it here. 2 roses were so bad I just plucked all the remaining leaves and hope they'll grow back.
    I have been lucky to not have much blackspot which is great.
    Thanks !! :)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the damage ...

{{gwi:297375}}

{{gwi:297376}}

What is causing this on my roses ? The orangy one is boscobel . The white is climbing pearly gates .

{{gwi:297377}}

{{gwi:297378}}

Let me know what I should do to fix these issues! :)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Your first issue looks like rose slug damage. Rose slugs look like little greenish worms and can be found mainly underneath leaves...

You can slide your hand underneath leaves to pull them off or just pick them off... This should be done when you first start seeing leaf damage on your bush...Then follow-up from time to time afterwards.

Or spray the top/bottom/canes of the rose bush leaves with a Spinosad product. Spot test spray a few leaves first to make sure they are not sensitive to the spray.

Safer Soap product also works... Follow all directions carefully for best results...

Your second issue with the blooms I have no idea as I do not see that type of damage here... Hopefully someone else will help...

PS Here rose slugs also go into some blooms and cause damage...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 11:09

• socks
    9 years ago

Lilyfinch, that's the only spider name I know! Once I had one on a sunflower, and it was exactly the same color as the flower petal. Maybe they can change color like a chameleon.

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

Bloom damage looks like thrips to me. I have them in Arizona and it is a fight every year and the thrips usually win. They get into the bud and when the flower tries to open it can't or it is all distorted. Sorry

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

Those little spiders are always so nice and polite in the roses :D They are great little garden pals. Sometime when you feel brave, you should pick one of them up. They are really cute and can't bite or anything.

You'll probably think I'm crazy, but I did a little happy dance the other day when a big ole black snake was stretched across my front patio rose garden sunning himself by Weeping China Girl! I felt a little crazy since I do go barefoot and kneel a lot in there, lol. But he very politely slithered on back into the boxwoods (which he climbs!) after our introduction. I guess the bunnies won't be eating my blooms in that garden anymore, hee hee.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of a crab spider on my Betty White. I usually take my finger and flick it off, since they can eat bees. I don't kill them, because they can do good things too.
    And yes! They can camouflage themselves by turning color. I've seen one yellow.
    Carol

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

Thrips season is late this year in Tennessee because Hay cutting is way late.

Once the grasses dry out, the Thrips move on and the predaceous Thrips follow. Only the predaceous ones need some time for their populations to build.

Thrips just began to bother my white roses about four days ago (east of Knoxville 1100').

Sometimes I can salvage blooms by removing outer layers of petals and move them inside for enjoyment.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor