Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Recommend some great stripped roses

newyorkrita
14 years ago

I would like to add some really striking stripped roses and looking for suggestions. No climbers. Shrub roses or Floribundas preferred. Scent would be nice but not necessary. I spray.

I have Wonderstripe, Citrus Splash and Purple Tiger.

Thanks.

Comments (25)

• aurora1701e
    14 years ago

How about George Burns? Excellent fragrance.

{{gwi:297397}}

• athenainwi
    14 years ago

Red Intuition is my favorite. The blooms are red with lighter red stripes. It's very pretty and more subtle than most of the other stripes. Other good ones are the Delbard stripes. I have Grimaldi, Henri Matisse, and Edgar Degas. Grimaldi is my favorite of those and it gets fairly large and blooms a lot. It's kind of an orangish color but it can be pink in cooler weather.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

I have a rose called Marvelle..I am waiting anxiouly for it to bloom for the first time. Check back here and I will let you know how it does!

• rochesterroseman
    14 years ago

I ordered Tropical Sunset from J&P a few years ago, because I fell in love with a bloom I saw on a sickly plant at the local rose garden. They sent me a very healthy specimen. To my utter surprise, it's a very vigorous healthy plant. Mine is over 4 feet right now, and it's just getting started for the season! It's a hybrid tea, by the way. There is no scent. I rarely buy roses I know have no fragrance, but I had to have this one! The roses have very long stems and classic HT form. A very dramatic plant.
    {{gwi:297398}}

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

How about Camille Pisarro? Depending on the weather, she can be more ivory or yellow.

{{gwi:224467}}

• mgleason56
    14 years ago

How about my favorite, Abracadabra?
    {{gwi:297399}}

Or a real strong, tall HT, Papageno;
    {{gwi:297400}}

Another I like is Tiger Tail.
    {{gwi:297401}}

• sunnishine
    14 years ago

soutine- ht
    red intuition
    pink intuition
    scentimental
    moores striped rugosa
    rosa mundi
    careless love
    claude monet
    Honorine de Brabant

There is a list of some more on the antique board page 2.

Mike, I hope that Abracadabra is going with you. One day I want to get ahold of that rose and no one carries it!

Sunni

• kstrong
    14 years ago

I like (more or less in order)

Purple Tiger (purple/white)
    Red Intuition (dark red/light red)
    Henri Matisse (dark red/white)
    City of Carlsbad (orange/white)
    Claude Monet (yellow/pink)
    Rock & Roll (red/white)
    Rose Des Cisterciens (pink/yellow)
    Cabana (pink/yellow)
    Marvelle (which is the same rose as Tropical Sunset, btw) (yellow/salmon)
    Grace Donnelly (salmon/yellow)

I'm also a big fan of the climber Berries N Cream. (hot pink/white)

Kathy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tiger Tail looks really pretty. Rock & Roll was recommended on the other thread I had and I am going to have to investigate both of them.

I don't know were I could get Camille Pisarro. I saw a picture of her maybe two years ago and thought that it was stunning.

Lots of other good choices mentioned too.

• sunnishine
    14 years ago

wow grace Donnelly is gorgeous...must get cuttings...it is not available anywhere either!

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

Camille Pisarro should be available at Amity Heritage Roses, along with Henri Matisse. I bought both of them there last year, and they were healthy, large own roots.
    -terry

• C Schaffner
    14 years ago

My favorite is Julio Iglesias. It's like a rasberry and white.

{{gwi:297402}}

• liashke
    14 years ago

I recently bought my first striped rose: Rock & Roll. I love it so far. It's putting out new growth like nobody's business and it has a lovely smell. Then again, it was bred from George Burns, so that makes sense! The white/cream part of the rose shades to pink sometimes.

{{gwi:297403}}

• mike_in_new_orleans
    14 years ago

I just got Red Intuition and Pink Intuition this past December from Wisconsin Roses. They're impressive. Blooming reliably already. Red Intuition, in particular, has the most eye-catching color combo--red on red. Both have no scent at all, but they make up for it by having great florist rose form that lasts easily a week and a half in the vase.

• eeekk
    14 years ago

Honorine de Brabant is a really beautiful striped pink and white rose. I just started trying to grow it. I'm not sure what it looks like in real life, but the pics on the net are amazing. See below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image search for Honorine

• ermingarde
    14 years ago

How do you like your Wonderstripe? I've been so disappointed in mine, I've had it for 2 years and have gotten 1 (count it, 1!) undersized bloom. How long does it take an own-root to come around? Wow, that Abracadabra is gorgeous. I second the vote for Berries and Cream, it has been a wonderful rose for me, though its blackspot is really bad this year. I really want Careless Love, it's top of my list, its stripes are so broad and irregular it's almost more like splotches than stripes. Does anyone have any experience with Candy Land? Does it look as good as it does in pictures?

• caflowerluver
    14 years ago

How about Oranges and Lemons (orange & yellow stripes)? I have it and it does very well. I get a lot of blooms and very little disease.
    Clare

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wionderstripe is doing very well. I think I had one or two blooms last year when I planted it. This spring its blooming now along with the others I bought last year from Heirloom. I think its pretty but it needs to grow up before I decide if its better than pretty or not. I has grown alot.

• mgleason56
    14 years ago

Agree with Rita on Wonderstripe. Got mine last year and had just 1 bloom. This year I have qite a few blooms, but plant is still kind of small. Looks to be better than Stars N stripes forever, but will wait to make final judgement.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:297404}}

Not a great picture of Wonderstripe but here it is.

• mgleason56
    14 years ago

hey, that looks pretty darn big! Mine is still in a 3 gallon pot since I am moving next week. Hopefully mine will get as big as this!

• stone_garden
    14 years ago

snrose, I have an Honorine de Brabant from a body bag - for me I wouldn't say she's a climber, but shoots out long arching canes (not too thorny) that I arch along a fence. The flowers are not huge but lots of them with lots of petals and a great mauvey-pinky-rasberry stripe effect. One of my books describes her as an old garden rose that is one of the loveliest of the striped and known for tolerating poor soil. She's tough! Highly recommended and unique color - meanwhile I am drooling over the pic of Abracadabra and Julio.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:297405}}

I forgot to add that I do have Rosa Mundi.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amity Heritage Roses is closed until July, notice on the website. No big deal as its not too far away but I can't see any way to just look because nothing comes up in all the catagories. Maybe they have not put up the July inventory yet.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, some success at adding some stripeys to my garden. And all at sale prices since they are coming from Roses Unlimited that is having its sale.

I have Julio Iglesias, Alfred Sisley and Henri Matisse ordered. I chose these because of the striped roses suggestions, these were available at RU and therefore easy to find for me. I still would like some others, deffinately Camille Pisarro.