Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnicula03

Entered my first rose show - adventures of a novice...

bunnicula03
9 years ago

I've attended several rose shows as a viewer but haven't had the nerve to exhibit my own roses. I have to say, reading some of the posts on here by new exhibiters gave me the courage to give it a try. I've been involved in showing other things over the years, like orchids, and purebred rabbits, and always enjoyed the challenges, excitement and comraderie of such events. After see-sawing back and forth in my mind, should I go, should I not, I decided the day before the show that I would indeed make the effort to exhibit. What the heck, at the very least I would learn things, which is always good, and would help me in future showing endeavors. Everybody has to have a first time, right?

So deciding to do this at rather the last minute, I admit I made my mistakes. Instead of going outside and choosing my roses (or preparing a month ahead of time), I decided to spend the rest of the day researching on the internet about exhibiting - grooming, entering, rose classes, etc. My plan was to get up early the next morning and cut whatever looked good. Roses can change so much in a matter of hours, and our lousy weather hasn't been at all condusive to good blooms. I wasn't seeing anything all that great and wanted to give the blooms more time on the bush to open. I stayed up late reading all kinds of info, and woke up very tired (mistake #1, or perhaps #3, not sure). My plan to be at the show first thing ended up with me getting there 1/2 hour before entries closed. It took me way more time to choose my roses than I thought it would, because nothing was up to par - either leaves had blemishes, or the roses had bug bites, or were too closed or too open. I finally chose 5 blooms that weren't too embarrassing to show leaf-wise, and were in a nice stage of bloom. No time left to groom now, must do at show, have to drive and hour and a half to get there...

Like I said, I arrived a half hour before entries closed. Part of this was because the method of transporting the roses I had decided to use wasn't actually working out too well as I was driving. Every turn and curve was a new opportunity for the small open cooler with my makeshift rose-holders to tip and spill all over my car. Hmm...had to rearrange things a bit and finally got them steady enough to drive - carefully. Once there, some very nice rose people helped me out a bit, gave me entry cards, a catalog, vases. Looking up the individual classes was going to take too much time - I had a minflora, a mini, 2 floribundas and a shrub rose. There was a novice class, so I decided to enter them all in the one class. It simplified the paperwork, lol. With little to no time left for grooming or prepping, I prayed any remaining bugs had jumped off in the car, and got my last rose on the table just as the entries were closing.

So what do do while judging was going on? It seemed like the 3 hours would be an eternity, so I went shopping for jeans, a chore I hate. I actually returned back to the show quite some time after it had opened, but hey, I did find jeans that fit! I went to the table where the novice entries were, but was a bit disappointed to see I had no ribbons. So trying not to feel disappointed, because, after all I had told myself I was going to look at this show as a learning experience, I went to view the other entries. There were gorgeous arrangements, humongous hybrid teas, many lovely roses very well grown. But I started noticing that not all were perfect - hey, my rose was as nice as that one and it got a ribbon, I wonder why I didn't. Hmm, lots of ribbons were given out, my novice table had none - was it possible that all the ribbons weren't PLACED yet? I looked further down the aisles and saw judge-like people still making their way down the tables, so that indeed seemed to be the case. I continued to view the exhibited roses, looking for my next adoptees - Christopher Columbus? Parole? Gotta get my hands on Joy this year! - then casually strolled over to the novice table when it seemed like the officials had passed. I was so excited to see I had ribbons on all my roses! Two blues on my nicest ones, and two reds on the other two... but wait, where was my yellow Julia Child? Was it possible that they'd put a novice class rose on the Judges table? Went over there, and yup! There she was, Best Novice. I was so proud of Julia! Her leaves were nice and clean, unblemished, the color so bright and ruffled form so pretty. I took a hundred pictures of her up there on the table, in the presence of royalty. I was thrilled of course, but soon realized that since I got blues I will no longer qualify for novice classes. So this may have been the first and only time I'd be on that judges table, probably for a good long while at least!

I got home very tired but happy, showing my photos to my family, and went outside to check on my rose babies. A big, beautiful bloom of Just Joey was standing proudly on a nice tall stem - he didn't look like that this morning, he was too closed! Darn, I should've cut the bud and brought it to the show! Mistake #197....

Comments (18)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great story and I enjoyed reading it! And congrats! :)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Congratulations! I think you captured all the highs and lows of rose showing...but wasn't it worth it!

• buford
    9 years ago

Congrats! It's easy to get hooked. I didn't win novice at my first show, but I did win best fragrance, so like you I now have to compete with the big guns. This year I started doing arrangements. I won novice there too. And one show this year, I won best OGR Tea Noisette and best shrub collection. Have fun!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Was this at the West Jersey show last weekend? I judged, but not the Novice Class. Congratulations! Will we see you at Longwood Gardens for the Del-Chester show tomorrow? :-)

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    9 years ago

Congratulations!

You have learned an awful lot for just one show! Bodes well for success in the future!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Bunni! I'm so happy for you! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Yes, at every show I've been to the rose people have always been very nice and very helpful. They really are glad you came and happy to help!

Yes, you made a few mistakes but I don't think any of them were so bad. I never get much sleep before my show. I may go to bed but I'll spend most of the night going over in my head which roses I have and how I can show them, lol. Not a good idea but I can't help it. I always cut the morning of the show too unless there is something just perfect the night before. Then I may cut it and refrigerate it for the night so it won't open too much by morning. And I've learned to cut some things that look too tight. Don't ask me why but for some reason every show venue I've been to, churches, malls, nurseries, etc. has been HOT and the roses open quickly in those conditions. So I've learned to cut tight and hope the form is just right by judging time. And lastly, don't judge your own roses before you cut them. Just cut them and take them. I've won queen with a rose I wasn't going to even take and got nothing on a rose I thought was my best entry. You never know what the judges are looking for. Just cut them and take them and enter them. Let the judges do the rest.

Are you a member of this society? If so volunteer once to clerk for the judges. It's a fascinating experience and I guarantee you'll learn tons of things about exhibiting roses.

But the most important thing is to have fun! And it sounds like you did!

• madri_gw
    9 years ago

Congrats Bunni, that's wonderful. I am a novice of the novice. I always thought about rose shows, but the very thought intimidates me. Some day I would like to try though. Could you post some pictures, would love to watch the pictures and it will inspire people like me to try to exhibit roses some day.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Thanks for your post, bunni. Your story makes exhibiting not so scary for first-timers. Congrats!

I too would love to see pics of your entries.

• buford
    9 years ago

Here are some pics I took of a show I was at recently. Don't be intimidated. The rose people are very nice and love to help. If you join a rose society, you will get even more help. The main impression you will get is 'I have better roses than that!'.

Also, it's great if you volunteer to help clerk and do other duties. Many of these rose show people have been doing this for years, and if you like participating in shows, taking over some of the responsibilities will be very appreciated.

Here is a picture of the show, with all the roses in their categories.

{{gwi:297427}}

Here is the head table, with the winners and the trophies

{{gwi:297428}}

Some of the Hybrid Tea and Floribunda winners. These usually make up the 'Court', King and Queen of the show, Prince and Princess.

{{gwi:297429}}

Other roses on the tables with their ribbons

{{gwi:297430}}

My winning entry, Best Tea/Noisette, Reve d'Or.

{{gwi:297431}}

My Novice Arrangement. I won a blue ribbon, so I'm not a novice any longer.

{{gwi:297432}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Wonderful pictures! Looks like it was a really beautiful show!

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

Bunni your posting was like a magazine column, I enjoyed every minute reading it! I felt like I was right there with you! Congrats on finding the jeans too, lol.

• madri_gw
    9 years ago

Wow Buford, those pictures are beautiful. the flower arrangement is awesome, you picked such nice colors, love the yellow green contrast.
    Did you take classes on flower arrangement or just did it out of your imagination. Its wonderful.

• nummykitchen
    9 years ago

I so enjoyed reading this, thank you! There is a rose show about an hour away next weekend and I've been seriously thinking of going if I have anything nice that morning! It would be my first one too :)

Congrats on your ribbons!

Andrea

• buford
    9 years ago

Thanks Madri. I actually really stink at doing arranging. I cut flowers and bring them in, but they never look right. I did go with another novice to one of our society's members home. She is an arrangement judge and she gave us a little class on not only arranging, but what the judges look for, what type of vases, etc. The arrangements at shows are very specific. You have to use a certain type of material, have a certain style, etc. I actually used a picture that I saw on the web as a guide. I used yellow roses, because that is what I had the most of. I've always like the yellow/purple/green combo. I did buy some filler, but the hosta, fern and cryptomeria on the bottom are from my yard. At the last minute of the prep, I replaced two of the roses, which were Golden Showers, with two Gold Medals because they were fresher and had a nicer shape. I think that helped.

There are plenty of books and articles on ARS Arrangements. If you do go to a show, check out the arrangements. Some of them are really amazing.

• buford
    9 years ago

Nummy, you should definitely go. Just bring whatever roses you have. It will be fun.

• bunnicula03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, thank you all, I'm glad you enjoyed my story. Yes, I had fun! I'd encourage anyone thinking of showing to get out there and give it a go. I've been encouraged by other's posts on here about their first shows, including buford's (lovely arrangement, btw!). So hopefully others will be encouraged by mine. :-)

It was the West Jersey show, Diane. It was a bit larger show than I had expected, and there were so many gorgeous roses, so it was great to take time to study the exhibitions. I wasn't able to make the show this weekend because I was away, unfortunately.

Thanks seil for the cutting tips, it's been from your posts that I learned a little about cutting for show. I'll definitely keep the other tips you shared in mind for the next show! I did join a local society the other day, though not the one that ran the show. They seem to be a great group of people, I just wish I lived closer.

I haven't loaded them on the computer yet, but I'll try to post some pictures soon for those of you who asked to see them.

• Holly Kline
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting this! I had considered going this year but ended up not being able to - next year I'm hoping to give it a shot. :)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

If the society you joined was Jersey Shore, our next meeting is in August, and our show is in September. :-)