Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocbrian

Volunteering & training in your s. California rose garden

Brian
14 years ago

Ok, so last week I put up a post on how & where to volunteer at a public rose garden in Southern California. The choices I were given were great but no one is taking in volunteers at this time. I really want to volunteer at Descano gardens since they have five acres of roses where they train you on everything from the types of roses to propagating to pruning; but they don't have any openings till probably September they said. Then I tried my second choice, the Huntington Library but it's the samething with waiting except for they have deadheading class on Tuesdays, but I don't want to do an hour drive everyweek, fighting the morning commute traffic for deadheading (They also have a 2 yr. committment). So I just have to wait, but in the mean while I was hoping & wondering if any of you Southern Californians whose have huge rose gardens (I saw some people say they had 1000+ roses, but can't remember who) would like to have me volunteer and assist them with their roses either once a week or every other week until September or whenever. I want to work with lots of different types of roses, especially antiques and english roses & I want to learn everything like propagating & the varities (I'm young & have a lot to learn). I also live in Orange County, so with in an hour of a drive is good enough. Let me know, thanks!

Comments (14)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Have you tried contacting one of the local rose societies? Maybe one of their members has a private garden where they would allow you to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Southwest District Rose Societies - So. California

• bethsmom
    14 years ago

I recently visited Armstrong Nursery in Carlsbad CA where they have a large "test garden." It badly needed pruning, and when I inquired "why do your roses look so neglected?"---they informed me that it is usually taken care of by volunteers, but they hadn't had many volunteer offers recently, and
    needed help. You might give them a call----

• petaloid
    14 years ago

There is an Orange County Rose Society that meets in Westminster and they may have some ideas for you.

Rose Hills Memorial Park has tons of roses, and they might want help.

Los Angeles Rose Society meets at Descanso Gardens, next meeting this Sunday at 12:30. If you can, why not come and talk to us? The current president leads pruning days at the gardens by the VA hospital, and if you can't come, you could e-mail her for info.

Here is a link that might be useful: OC Rose Society

• jerijen
    14 years ago

The folks who maintain the Stagecoach Inn Heritage Rose Garden might love to hear from you, but Newbury Park is a LONG way to go from Orange County.

Jeri

• kstrong
    14 years ago

You should join the California Coastal Rose Society, which meets in Carlsbad. I live in San Juan Capistrano and that's my "base" rose society (although I officially belong to several of them). That group takes care of the Magee Rose Garden in Carlsbad in exchange for the free use of its meeting space --- the garden care group meets on assorted Saturday mornings to deadhead, prune, train or whatever is needed. The next care dates are June 27, July 18, August 1, August 22 and September 5. Sessions start at 9 and last 90 minutes or so. All hands are welcome. Bring clippers. The garden is at the corner of Beech Avenue and Garfield Street in Carlsbad.

Also, I know the AARS test garden in Carlsbad is also looking for a few helping hands. I can put you in touch with them, or you can call the Armstrong nursery in front of the garden and they can probably direct you to the proper folk.

Kathy

• Brian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the info! I don't know which ones to pick.

Stagecoach Inn Heritage Rose Garden is out of the question because of the long drive but thanks Jeri!

I like the AARS test garden, I will be in the area on Friday, so I will check it out. The Magee Rose garden sounds good too, but I would like to work more with english roses and antiques. I may do the Descano pruning with the LA society. I also emailed rose society members asking what they can do for me. Again thank you for the great info & please let me know of anything else!

• jerijen
    14 years ago

We visited the garden in Magee Park last week, and it is lovely. A lovely garden, in a lovely setting. Nice climate, too. :-)

Jeri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Oh wow, come on over! Mine always need deadheading! I can show you how to propagate if you like. And if you want to see textbook cases of terrible Rust, I have some stunning examples. ;)

• Brian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great hoovb. Where do you live, how many roses do you have, and do you have a lot of the english and antique roses?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Orange county, about 320, yes. email me. (click on name).

• Brian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Let me know if you got the email or not, this is my first time using that feature.

• piper101
    14 years ago

OCBrian, I live in Org.Cnty and just became a master gardener here. We have lots of venues that involve roses where you can volunteer. Centennial Heritage Gardens in Santa Ana is one (The Kellogg House). They have a couple prunings a year. I did one already. The Irvine Family Ranch has a small rose garden (corner of Irvine Blvd/Jamboree I think),,I will look up the rest of our projects and get back to you here.

• Brian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Piper, I will check out the Centennial Heritage Gardens. Please let me know of anything else you find out. Again thanks to everyone for your great suggestions!

• hershigrl
    14 years ago

Brian, HoovB has a stunningly beautiful garden. She has a designer's eye in addition to a gardener's thumb. She is also very generous with her knowledge. I would definitely take her up on her offer!

Sponsored
The Art of Landscape
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Award Winning Landscape Artist & Designer for Larger DC Metro Area