Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small green worm eating my rose

Posted by garyt z4-5 N.E. Mi (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 20:26

There is a small green worm about 3/16 inch long eating my roses. I put some Bayer 2 and one about one week ago. What to do next.

Thanks
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small green worm eating my rose

Maybe a rose slug? The rose slug is the larval stage of the sawfly. It will turn the leaves to lace but doesn't seem to do anything to the buds.

Do a search on rose slug and see if it fits.

o
RE: Small green worm eating my rose

Definitely sounds like rose slug. In most cases, after a couple weeks, the good bugs come along and eat 'em up, so you don't really need to do anything as drastic as use Bayer 2-in-1. Most of us either hand-squeeze them or pick them and toss them into the grass away from the rose. Seriously, the good bugs usually finish the job for the rose gardener, so the Bayer isn't needed. Besides, the Bayer 2-in-1 kills off all bugs, both the good and the bad bugs, and not just the rose slugs. (Don't use the Bayer 3-in-1 either--even worse!).

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here