Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone6_nj

Is Jude really this slow??

zone6-nj
10 years ago

Hope all is well with you guys. Really enjoy watching my roses grow, the ones from chamblees are really getting bigger, and I'm really happy that Eglantyne, heritage, and WS2000 are completely disease free for me over here! So far so good, but I don't want to jinx it.

However, last year I purchased from heirloom a jude the obscure, which did not bloom at all last year, which was fine, given I kept it in the band pot for a good month before putting it on the ground - so I figured that was partially my fault. It grew a few inches last summer, nothing crazy though.

By the way, I'm in northern Jersey, zone 6a.

I finally got one bloom from it a few days ago, and was so happy, the scent was everything I wanted it to be, really happy with it. However, I had a small piece of new growth coming out of what looks like a dead branch coming from the side. The new growth was actually growing well, up until we had a bad storm and the whole thing was broken off. I was so upset. That was the only growth Jude was really putting this year. Does this rose have hope? Is it really that slow? It gets the most sun out of ALL of my roses and I manured it earlier this spring. I really love this rose, especially after that one bloom. What could I do? What should I expect? Any help will really be appreciated, because out of the 45 I have planted, I recently chose this as my favorite!

Have a nice day, and for all of you on the east coast be safe with this tropical storm!

Comments (11)

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

I am in a nice toasty zone compared to you but my Jude is a virtual tree now. Mine also came from Heirloom and last spring I had to use a brush saw to remove the oldest canes because they were too thick to use lopers on. Mine has been in the ground for at minimum of eleven years.Hopefully yours will take of this summer.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Jude was a slow grower for me, but now is a monster, so patience is probably going to be necessary for this rose. I assume your Jude gets plenty of water. Have you given it any fertilizer since the manure? You might try some Rose Tone on Jude. I think it's one of the best. My Jude is going into its ninth season and It took about three years for it to really take off. This photo is from last year (I'm still working on this year's photos, but it's slow going because of so much wind). Good luck with your Jude--it's a great rose. Diane

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Yes, Jude really is that slow.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Years ago someone posting on the antiques forum called it Jude the Eventual.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Mine took 5 years to be a decent plant, and this was in coastal Southern California. At age--9 or 10 now, he's excellent.

'Jude The Eventual'--ha ha that's a good one!

• zone6-nj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I just put some rosetone and more manure on top of him today.

Now quick question, I know there are topics and topics on Jude as grafted or own root, and I feel like of course along with weather and different climates come different opinions. However - am I wasting my time with this own root from heirloom? I don't mind waiting the 3-4 years for this 2 year old to mature, but I also want it to be amazing by then. Should I just buy the grafted? Have any of you had great success with it own root? I'm just really in a situation where I feel like I should have bought it grafted. My main priority is for it to make a lot of blooms (as I've seen pictures of) and for it to get reasonably large.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day all.

Drew

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I have 'Jude' own root, planted as a gallon-sized plant from Chamblee's in late October 2011. I do not winter protect all all and the plant has now survived two winters with every cane green almost to the tips. Last year the plant was a slow, steady gangly grower and produced about two dozen lovely blooms throughout the season. This spring I pruned it down to shape it up and it is currently 3 feet x 3 feet. It currently has about 40-50 buds but has not yet started to bloom. It is very healthy and I grow all of my roses no spray. I am quite pleased with it right now.

My neighbor down the street grows 'Jude' grafted. I am uncertain of the age, but it is a monster. At least 8 feet tall by 4-5 feet wide by the end of summer.

My soil is alkaline sandy loam.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

The Jude I show in the photo is grafted and is currently about 11 feet tall. I have alkaline soil and live in a sunny, arid area with no black spot. Jude is very hardy here. Diane

• zone6-nj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ispahan that's great to know, wow 40-50 buds at one point in time? That's exactly what I want. Diane, your jude as I mentioned before, is the reason why I bought it. I love this forum, my roses are doing great so far thanks to all the advice I read on here!

Has anyone tried planting 3 bushes in 18 inches from each other formed in a triangle? I'm thinking about doing that. Any advice? Not necessarily with jude, but any austin planted in a group of three.

Take care,

Drew

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I haven't tried growing any Austin in threes, but I can think of at least two which might work this way because of their smallish, compact growth: Tamora, a creamy soft apricot and The Prince with its very dark purple red blooms. I've had each for several years, and they don't seem to want to get huge, which is what I want, given their locations. They both, especially Tamora, have really lovely growth habits. No shooting canes, nothing popping out at odd angles. Diane

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

Diane! OMG your roses are like my dream come true! I've never seen austin roses growing in my climate so I have no idea if mine will ever get like that but one can only hope wish and dream. If I wish it enough maybe it will happen!