Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

How big can Belinda's Dream get?

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

For those of you who have Belinda's Dream and have had it for awhile, I would like to know how big they can get, how tall and how wide? I have three, two in the ground and one that is in a container. This is their second year and all three are doing good, the two planted in the ground are the most vigorous. I have read that sometimes they can get fairly large. I know that would depend on several factors, but was wondering how big they could potentially get? I might add that mine are growing more wide than tall, which is what I want them to do and hope that continues.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 21:03

Comments (12)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

In about 4 yrs, somewhere in the area of 5' tall by a good 6' wide all the way around. Prune it lightly the first couple of years and then watch it do it's thing.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    9 years ago

Interesting. Mine appears vigorous, yet never gets taller than 2-feet. It is probably 2-3 feet wide. It is blooming remarkably well right now.

It is hardy but often grows from underground, as it is not always cane hardy; we bury the graft here about 4" deep for best results.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

I had mine for many years, and they were smaller, like 2-3 feet tall, and wide.
    Sammy

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Right now mine is somewhere in the range of Mark's and Sammy's. I wouldn't mind if they got a little larger, but at the size they are, they are healthy and produce lots of blooms. I'm thinking that in my zone they won't get too big, hopefully.

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

Mine is 3 year old, and died to the ground this past winter and is about 1 feet tall 2 feet wide now. I am in 6b or 7a, and I think I will always have some winter damages. I heard that its ideal habit is somewhere hot and dry, and am content with what it can do here. So far, it has been. a carefree rose for me and don't get too much spot.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you farmerduck and hoovb. Hoovb, your Belinda's Dream is very pretty. Thanks for sharing the lovely picture. Yes, it does get fairly large in your zone.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    9 years ago

Hoovb lives in rose nirvana.

I have a rose bed with southern exposure behind my commercial building surrounded by buildings that extend deeper into the neighboring lots to the east and west.

In that rose bed I grow roses like they were in California. I grow a large-flowered climber that cannot otherwise be grown in the Midwest.

I don't have Belinda's Dream in that bed. I have "The Prince" in that bed, and whereas it is about a 3' tall rose growing in other beds. Behind my commercial building it grows 6' - 7' tall, 5' wide, and is filled with flowers

What a difference location makes.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

photos please mark!

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    9 years ago

It has been quite a while since I posted photos here, and I don't quite have the knack of it. This is Spectra, a large flowered climber. Not quite in full glory in this photo. As of July 2011 it looks to be about 5' tall in this photo. This rose has died every where else in town I planted it, within one year. But it will flourish behind my office. One year it died back below the ground and started growing only in early July. This year it had only one little sprout and is about 2" tall only, but it just added a second sprout over the weekend. It will grow to about 8 feet or so when it is doing well. After our brutal winter it will take some recovery time.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    9 years ago

This one is Polarstern. I grew it from a cutting. I actually stuck the cutting in the ground behind my office building and it grew.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    9 years ago

This is Johann Strauss. As you can see I have some maintenance issues here - failure to deadhead. But it is a really cool rose. Porcelain like.