Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
southern growing problems

Posted by sbarnett 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 20:46

I have five types of roses in the landscape of the place i recently purchased. i will describe as best i can as i don't know the types (maybe you can help with this) and then tell you the specific problems i am having.

The first type appears to be either a climber or a rambler, both are about 16 feet in the spring when they bloom out they grow a single rose all over them, when those roses start to die back they grow a cluster of eight more roses around each of them

the second type grows between three and four foot tall with a single large rose at the tip of the cane, they will do that about three times

the third type grows primarily on the ground. they covers about a thirty inch circle and only has branches sticking up about a foot. i thought someone had maybe dropped something on it causing damage, but i cut it all the way back twice and it is determined that is how it want to grow

the fourth type grow as what looks to be small hedges with a real thick woody base and not a typical rose shape. they are in a variety of colors

the fifth type are about four feet high, spread out about six feet wide with thin branches and many many very tiny roses, very deep red, almost black.

now my problem, with EVERY rose bush except the third one i described, after the initial blooming, every leaf falls off to bear stems and appear dead. after a couple months they will attempt to grow again leaving a very scanty attempt on a lot of stems

any ideas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: southern growing problems

It would help if you had photos AND listed your area or zone (not asking for addresses just basic general area)

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 22:12

What's your general location? Growing zone?
Any pics of your roses would be helpful to people...

Sounds like your roses may be getting blackspot which is a fungus disease that causes leaf drop on roses...

You either have to accept the problem.
Or replace your Blackspot prone roses with more disease resistant roses.
Or spray a fungicide to prevent the leaf drop...

I myself only keep disease resistant roses here. (I do not spray.)

But pics would be nice so we can see the damage, etc.

o

Jim's advice is good. The most recommended fungicide is Bayer Disease Control for Roses, Shrubs, and Flowers containing only tebuconazole. You may have to buy it online. It will stop blackspot if sprayed every two weeks. Don't buy a combination rose pesticide.

#2 sounds like a hybrid tea rose, which is the most typical modern kind.

o

so sorry, i thought i had posted my zone. zone 8 NC.

when they bloom again i will try to get pics. thanks for all the advice so far

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 10:00

No need to wait until they bloom... You can post clear closeup pics of any spotted leaves etc.
So the problem can be positively ID-ed...

If you want to know the name of your rose bushes then you would need clear pics of the entire rose bush, blooms, leaves, branching, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here