Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dntquilter

Seeking Encouragement

DNTQuilter
10 years ago

I've enjoyed reading the posts and have learned so much.

Last year I planted my first three roses (Mr. Lincoln, Let Freedom Ring, and a Yellow Flora whose name I cannot remember right now. All three did very well and came back this year in grand style.

Being confident, I purchased JFK, Peace, Barbra S, Queen Eliz, and Love as potted specimens. They have taken well, and further increased my confidence.

As approaching the later part of the planting season I ordered to bare root roses, Good as Gold and Chysler Imperial. They are making me nervous, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Now to the root of my post. Of course Babs has black spot, and for the first time I'm seeing signs of insect destruction of some leaves. Nothing horrible, and only on a few plants.

I want to be proactive and want to do the right thing. Which would you tackle first? A soap and baking soda spray in the roses with insects, or spray the 2 or 3 roses showing some Black Spot with the Bayer Product?

Depending on how our summer goes, I don't think the BS will be an ongoing problem.

Any comments, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott in PA

Comments (25)

• gardenbug
    10 years ago

I'm pretty much a newbie to roses but my guess would be to find out what kind of insects are eating your leaves. Then I'd get rid of them and deal with the BS. Of course, the experts might have a different suggestions or tell me to stop giving advice. lol

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

The following was stated: "the experts might have a different suggestions or tell me to stop giving advice. lol."

H.Kuska comment. Remember the definition of expert is: one who knows more and more about less and less.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for Google search of definition

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you two! One vote and one neutral. LOL

The only bugs I have seen are about 1/2" long with yellow stripes running along the length of their long lateral sides.

I can't find that bug online anywhere.

I'm am prone to trying to deal with the bugs first. Nothing aggressive, just soap and baking soda on those that need it.

Can't wait to hear what others have to say.

You all are great. So neat to in the midst of people who are passionate about their roses.

Scott in PA

• gardenbug
    10 years ago

henry...lol

DNTQuilter. Can you take a photo of your bug and post it?

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will try tomorrow. I took pics this evening of the leaves, but it was with the iphone. Not even worth posting. :(

It was raining today and there were no bugs in site. :)

Scott

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I'm no spray and just live with bugs and blackspot.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Holes in leaves? Check for rose slugs on the underside of holy leaves. They may be tiny (1/8"-1/4") this time of the year. They can grow to about 3/4"-1" later on in the year.

I just took this pic the other day. They are still tiny...

{{gwi:285359}}

But they can grow to this size....LOL (about 1" long)
    {{gwi:284441}}

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Catsrose, I didn't have to spray in my first year, and I'm stressing over needing/wanting to know. However, and I didn't mention this before, our landscapers just laid mulch, and I feel like that might be contributing to the problem. They only mulch every other year. When I planted my first roses last year, we mulched with commercially prepared mulch in bags, and not very deep. I fear the mulch used by the landscapers may not be "as clean" as the others. I know that their mulch is famous for growing fungus balls in the humidity of August.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm just trying to proceed cautiously to do what's best for the investment that I have in my 10 rosebushes.

Scott in PA

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Or, an 'expert' is the person who knows one more thing than you do. Or, an 'expert' is a 'has-been drip'. Kim

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim,

I think you diagnosed my problem. While I haven't seen the slugs, they are going after the same new leaves like yours and the damage looks identical.

How do I get rid of these little suckers?

Thanks!

Scott

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, here is a picture of my little critter(s). Oddly I can only find them on Barbra Streisand. Darn thing is blurry, but I think you can see it well enough to identify.

Thanks much,

Scott

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

The pests usually have a season and eventually go away on their own. Or a predator will show up and take care of them. And black spot only happens when the weather conditions are right for it. So basically you could just do nothing and have both problems disappear on their own.

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil, I like how you think!

What I did this morning was mix a solution of 1/2 gallon water, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp dawn, and 1/8th cup of bleach. I sprayed down Barbra whose BS got significantly worse over the last few rainy days, and just the few parts of two other roses that look like that are being eaten by something.

Those yellow striped bugs, who were only on Barbra, quickly went away. They were not happy with me.

I inspected for rose slugs and couldn't see any. Maybe it was too early in the morning?

At any rate, I'm using Bayer 2 in 1 granules on a monthly basis, and so next weekend my new bushes will get just their second feeding of that.

I'm not going to resort to commercial sprays unless something gets out of hand.

My regimen of the 2-1 granules held us through the season just fine last year. So I hope to not have to really spray.

I am feeding with rose-tone on a monthly basis beginning this year, and I worked a good organic soil into the holes of the new plantings and worked some into the ground of the 1 year olds.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

After keeping marine aquariums for years, I'm a believer in no sudden changes to an environment, unless absolutely necessary (as in "life saving").

Scott in PA

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Search "Lady bug nymph" I think you will find the bug you located to be one of your future rose garden heroes.

They snack on rose slugs

• cecily
    10 years ago

Scott: if you can grow Barbra Streisand in Pennsylvania without fungicide spray, then you are a god. I bow to you.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Instead of using bleach take a look at this thread about using hydrogen peroxide. Much less toxic!

Here is a link that might be useful: hydrogen peroxide thread

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the input.

Jim - later this morning I found rose slugs. Then I freaked!

Also found powdery mildew and these strange little flies crawling all over everything. I really think it is the tan bark that sparked the problems (at least insect wise)

Cecily - I'm not a God, so me thinks BS is here to stay on Babs :(

Kippy - Happily I manually removed the lady bug nymphs and tossed them in the yard.

I landed up spraying with 3 in 1. It is just too early in the season, and we have had funky weather, to risk losing my investment. I understand that the plants need their foliage this first season to help feed the roots.

Seil - I will read-up on hydrogen peroxide. Perhaps that will be a better alternative to keeping Baby healthy throughout the season.

Again, my sincere thanks to all who have chimed in.

Scott

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

Scott, I am also in PA. We just had a lot of rain and now my roses have black mold spots on some of their leaves.

I know of those bugs you posted about. I've been using Bayer 2 in 1 and haven't seen them since.

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 15:53

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sunflowers--
    I use 2 in 1 also, but the new roses have only had one feeding of it, so it's probably not reasonable to expect that it would be through the bush yet.

That was a great soaking rain for my two bare roots, but as for the larger bushes - NOPE!!

Scott
    Mechanicsburg, PA

• socks
    10 years ago

Are you sure it's not a ladybug? The babes look nothing like the grown ones, and they are the good guys you want to have. That's the problem with spraying and systemics, good and bad are killed.

• Zyperiris
    10 years ago

Lady Bug Nymphs you want!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

In eastern PA I see many small worms, aphids, etc. on my roses. I ignore them except for some hand squishing. They disappear eventually with little damage. Lady bugs, wasps and other predators are the cure. If 2 in 1 contains a general insecticide, it is likely a poor choice of action. You may be killing these predators as well as bees.

In my garden, black spot will become serious if I don't spray. It is not possible to grow HT roses in E. PA without some kind of fungicide.

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zyperiris - yes, I learned yesterday that those nymphs are a good thing. Thank you.

Harry - 2 in1 is a fertilizer and disease preventative. It's when they introduce the #3 that the insecticide comes in.

Everything looks so much better today. That damned mulch they put down was crawling with everything (including the nymphs, which I read online, they often come with pine mulch),

All is peaceful out there. Today. Breathe, Scott, breathe.

My biggest chore now is keeping the bare root roses that I planted 6 days ago wet. There are some canes sprouting, so I'm happy about that.

Scott in PA

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

I have HT roses and am in eastern PA. Haven't had any problems with fungus yet. I keep mine well spaced for ventilation. The only rose bush I have with a fungal problem is an old red rose bush that was here when we bought the house 20+ years ago. Not even sure what it is. But there is a very large forsythia bush planted on the neighbors side of the fence. I don't know if that bush holds a lot of moisture or if its just blocking the air flow. Today I trimmed her forsythia way back and rounded it out for her so hopefully my rose bush will grow better without all of that competition for air and space.

Where abouts in PA are you? I'm right on the Delaware River north of Philly.

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

....and a lady bub nymph just crawled across my laptop screen. Too funny!