Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Any roses that do particularly well in part shade? Any Austins?

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Hello All!

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for roses that might do well for me in the part-shade areas of my yard. I am in a constant state of planning for my new additions, and a large portion of the area I have left to work with only gets sun from about 7am- 1pm, & some areas (mostly my porch-where I would love to have potted roses) get even less at 7am-11:30am.

Then there are some areas of the yard that are completely shaded in the morning and then get bright sun from about 1:30pm until about 6-7pm. Since I am still a newbie I have no idea if these allotments would be considered adequate sunlight, & if morning sun and afternoon sun are created equal in the eyes of roses or if one is drastically preferred to another in this type of climate. I just don't know!

So, any advice you may have, or recommendations of things that have worked in your garden would be much appreciated. I have a certain affinity for Austin roses & also for any rose with a strong fragrance, but all types are welcome here, I love them all.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jessica

Comments (22)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Hi Jessica,

I am not much of an expert but I can give a little insight on one rose I have in shade. I am growing Red Moss/Henri Martin - it's an old moss rose. It has big double blooms that are pink/red depending on your location. It's doing very well in part shade and I'm in a colder zone than you.

Not sure how you feel about the older roses but it's doing very well for me so far. Hardly can tell it's new aside from it's small size.

Also - Heirloom Roses has a wonderful selection and really great searching options!

Here are all Austin's that tolerate shade for your zone!

Good luck :o)

Michaela

Here is a link that might be useful: David Austin's Shade Roses

This post was edited by thegardenat902 on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 23:17

• predfern
    9 years ago

In my garden Harlow Carr does OK in part shade.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

If a rose can get at least 6 hours of sun, that is fine. Sounds like you have some morning spots and some afternoon spots that meet those requirements, so you can probably grow most any rose in those places.

For places that get less than 6 hours of sun, you will need to be pickier, but probably most roses will grow there. The question is whether it will be enough sun. Too often, fewer blooms and more blackspot problems are the results.

If you have room for some larger, often fountain-shaped rose shrubs that do fairly well in semi-shady spots, check out the hybrid musks which tolerate some shade better than many other roses do. Buff Beauty is indeed a beauty!

By the way, I'm not sure the Austin roses linked to above are particularly tolerant of shade. You might double-check on the David Austin site where he lists which of his roses are shade-tolerant. On the other hand, most Austins (and many other roses) often appreciate a couple hours of afternoon semi-shade in really, really hot regions.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• KnoxRose z7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice! It sounds like I am just in for some trial and error! & thats ok! I will check into the moss and hybrid musk roses for sure, I don't know much about old roses yet, but I do want to learn more & I am slowly building a list of ones I would like to try out, at the top of my list so far are: Souvenir de la Malmaison, Mme. Isaac Pereire, & Reine des Violettes. I may now add Buff Beauty to that list too because she looks gorgeous! And a strong fragrance too... Yes please!

I have seen the section of the David Austin website that highlights his shade-tolerant varieties, but I feel like that must not be all the options, because there are so few listed out of the oodles of them that there are. I checked out the "especially fragrant" section as well, and it felt like some things were missing, ex: Abe Darby is not listed, but Golden Celebration is, and to me- & what seems like most people would agree, GC does not come close to beating out AD in fragrance, I don't understand why Abe isn't in there, but again, they only list a small amount of roses in that section, who knows why. So in thinking about it that way I have decided there must be more Austins that do well in shade, I just need to figure out what they are!

Thanks again guys!

Jessica

This post was edited by Dinglehopp3r on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 0:16

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

The Antique Rose Emporium also has a list of shade tolerant roses--they specify that those roses still need 3 to 4 hours of direct sun. Most of the roses on their list are hybrid musks.
    I have a very similar situation in my garden to yours and I have been scouring these forums for suggestions. Marie Daly, Green Ice, and Comtesse de Cayla have done well for me in the short time I've had them. Mrs. Dudley Cross is healthy but hasn't bloomed much in afternoon sun, she is in her second year. I am keeping Felicia and Darlow's Enigma in pots for planting when it cools off this fall.
    Good luck with your search--be sure to look on the Antique Rose Forum also--they incude Austins.

• DrPekeMom
    9 years ago

I grow Lyda rose in the shade, and she's awfully pretty there. I also have my Ballerina in more shade than I wanted, and she's done fine, too.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I agree with Kate that hybrid musks tend to do well in part shade, particularly with some direct sun as you mention for the latter group of roses. In the first situation you describe, I agree with Seil that most roses will be fine under those circumstances, particularly with the morning sun. Other roses that do well in part shade for me include Darlow's Enigma, Double Knockout, most polyanthas, and to my pleasant surprise, most hybrid perpetuals.

In my yard, I have all three that are on the top of your list, and I wouldn't put either Souvenir de Malmaison or Mme. Isaac Periere in part shade. I have Reine de Violettes in part shade and she does reasonably well, but doesn't rebloom well. I can't tell if it's from the part shade or the particular cultivar of RdV I have. Among Austins, I've had good results in part shade from the following: Heritage, The Alnwick Rose, The Alexandra Rose, Darcy Bussell, The Prince, and Teasing Georgia (though she gets a bit floppy for the latter). Another option that is relatively double like the Austins is Lavender Lassie.

Cynthia

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Heritage can take afternoon shade. I think it prefers it because the flowers last longer. The spectacular mini 'gourmet popcorn' ( larger than a mini when I've seen it and also here where it is almost waist high) does very well in morning sun.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

A good general guideline is that roses strongly influenced by 'Rosa moschata' and/or 'Rosa multiflora' will be OK in less than full sun. This would thus include the original Noisettes (not the ones with Tea blood), Polyanthas, the once-blooming Multiflora Ramblers, and many Hybrid Musks. You'll also find some Austins and Floribundas which may work -- I'm guessing the Austins bred from 'Iceberg', and Floribundas were originally bred from Polyanthas and Hybrid Teas, so some may still carry the less-sun tolerance -- but you'll have to research them individually. Also look into some roses classed as Shrubs -- this is a bit of a catch-all, and Hybrid Musks are one sub-category, but a few others in that group may also do well in less than full-sun. Again, you'd have to look them up individually.

Here's a few which might work for you which also have some nice fragrance -- look them up on HelpMeFind for more information.

'Bubble Bath' (big/climber)
    'Buff Beauty' (big/climber)
    'Cornelia' (big/climber)
    "Darlow's Enigma" (huge)
    'Excelenz von Schubert' (big/climber)
    'Lavender Lassie' (big/climber)
    'Lyda Rose' (medium-big)
    'Moonlight' (big/climber)
    'Penelope' (big/climber)
    'Prosperity' (big/climber)
    'Purple Skyliner' (big/climber)

'Aimee Vibert' (get the bush form -- medium)
    'Aunt Margy's Rose' (small/medium)
    'Blush Noisette' (medium)
    'Clotilde Soupert' (small)
    'Marie Pavie' (small)
    'Pink Soupert' (small)
    'White Pet' (small)
    'Yvonne Rabier' (small)

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Search at HelpMeFind

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 3:10

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Oh, and if you have the room for it, also consider 'Rosa moschata' itself. For you, it would probably start blooming in July/August and continue to frost -- and its clove scent will be noticeable from quite a distance in the humid Summer air. Mine gets only a few hours of direct sun in the morning, followed by bright shade the rest of the day. It's in only its second year here, but is growing vigorously and doesn't get blackspot in my no-spray New Jersey garden -- which is quite a rare thing among my roses, as virtually everything else will get at least a few spotty leaves at some point.

:-)

~Christopher

KnoxRose z7 thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • laura242424
    9 years ago

'Aloha' is my best climber in part shade (of course in my zone it doesn't climb; it dies back to 1' in the winter and only gets to 3' tall by fall).

It doesn't need much care, and the blooms have a really nice form and smell nice and last a long time.

Aloha is pink; there's also an Apricot sport called 'Dixieland Linda' that I really want.

KnoxRose z7 thanked laura242424
  • SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

The Alnwick Rose and Darcey Bussell are both doing beautifully for me in afternoon shade. Carding Mill too.
    Of course I'm in a ridiculously dry climate .. not lovely moist Tennessee.
    Sylvia

KnoxRose z7 thanked SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
  • totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

Heritage, Pretty Jessica, Lady of Shallot, Wollerton Old Hall, and Jude the Obscure are my Austin's that are doing well (growing, blooming and disease resistant although WOH and Jude do get a little BS in my no spray garden) in partial shade although I am sure they would bloom more with more sun. I do think the blooms of these paler of these roses might fry in summer if they actually had more sun.

I am also going to get Teasing Georgia for its supposed shade tolerance and did consider Grace for the same reason. I have heard on this forum that Olivia Rose and Ambridge rose do well in part shade.

KnoxRose z7 thanked totoro z7b Md
  • teka2rjleffel
    7 years ago

I'm in a warmer zone, so roses may tolerate more shade here than in your garden. That said these are the ones that did well for me in FL and in GA in less than ideal light: Ambridge Rose, Tamora, Tess of the Urbervilles, Munstead Wood, The Dark Lady, Mary Magdeline, LD Braithwaite and Sophy's Rose.

KnoxRose z7 thanked teka2rjleffel
  • kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Gruss an Aachen is often mentioned and did very well for me in a part sun location. It grew less compact but still looked wonderful and bloomed.

KnoxRose z7 thanked kittymoonbeam
  • barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

Carefree Beauty, Easter Basket, and Playboy. Lavender Dream, a modern HM bred in Holland. Souv. de St. Ann's and Mystic Beauty. Natchitoches Noisette and Blush Noisette--OK but bloom less than they would in full sun.

Cornelia has been wonderful in a half day sun; Lyda Rose too,

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

Abe Darby is known to do decently in partial shade. I have one that grows in almost full shade and although its very leggy, it still produces blooms. Heritage is also a good one for partial shade.

• User
    7 years ago

fragrancenutter,... oh my goodness what a rose ! I don't think I've ever seen it as fantastic as yours. That photo deserves to be seen by more people... and beautifully trained along the wall.. I feel I want to bury my head in it...

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    2 years ago

Fragrance Nutter: how much sun does your Madame Isaac Pierre get?... and where are you located? I just got this rose… And I’m trying to figure out the best location to plant it. Yours is the best specimen I’ve ever seen.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Ann, I haven't seen fragrancenutter post in the last few years. But her/his roses get lots of sun in Perth, Western Australia. I wish she'd start posting again. Diane

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Own-root Madame Isaac Pereire was stingy for me when I planted it in 4 hours of evening sun. It needs more sun than 4 hours.