Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutchrose71

Julia Child rose at Home Depot

dutchrose71
10 years ago

The Tractor Supply rose thread brings a question to mind...

I have purchased quite a few new roses this year-- I'm fortunate to have an excellent local garden center nearby and they have a nice selection of roses that typically do well here. I have purchased all of my roses there-- until last week.

I was at Home Depot last week and noticed a new shipment of roses on a pallet. Among several types of roses-- Seafoam, Nearly Wild, Home Run-- I noticed some Julia Child roses. This is a rose I had on my "next year" list.

They were in small one gallon pots and the tag on the rose was from Week's Roses-- the garden center I purchase from also has Week's Roses. The white label on the pot said "Stacy's Nursery."

The Week's Roses tag also said that these were "Own Root" roses.
At $10 a piece, I bought 2.

While I understand the benefits of purchasing from a local owner operated garden center, and do my best to support local business, I also like a bargain when I find it! :)
Are these a bargain? Do you think these are true "Weeks Roses?" And "own root?" Does it matter? All questions from a novice.

The roses appeared healthy-- just smaller than what I've been purchasing.
I also noticed some Kordes Veranda roses at Home Depot-- this is not one I had on my wishlist, but they looked nice.
I appreciate any thoughts!

Comments (5)

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Yes you did get a good deal.You were in the right spot at the right time!
    It looks like Home Depot's buyers picked these plants up when a Business closed. A lot of buyers are always out there looking for plants that were ordered and then not paid for.
    I wish we had a Home Depot!!! My self I don't buy my plan ts at a store. Our Society goes thru a jobber and he can buy from all the sources to get our plants. It is cheaper for us. I've been doing this for years!
    Good eyes and very smart shopping!
    I love Julia Child, It has very tight clusters of yellow blooms!

• dutchrose71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dan, I'm excited about Julia Child-- they are small plants, but hopefully with diligent watering at this time of year, they will settle in nicely.
    I just thought it was kind of random to find these roses at HD-- your explanation of how they got there makes good sense. Thanks!

• nummykitchen
    10 years ago

Oh that is interesting about how they get to the big box stores! I never knew. It always seems so random and that explains why.

I saw Julia Child at Lowe's earlier this spring and almost picked her up but didn't and when I went back they were all gone. I did manage to find a Scentimental there and also got my mom a Cherry Parfait. All roses I was surprised to find at Lowe's! After that shipment of roses all of the others I happened to see at Lowe's were Knock Outs or Flower Carpets. I'm also kicking myself for not picking up a Music Box rose I saw at a Lowe's out of town. All of the ones I mentioned were in large nursery sized pots.

Congrats on your lucky find, dutchrose71! :)

Andrea

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    10 years ago

It's amazing what you can find at Lowe's and Home Depot if you know what to look for and if you get there on days of delivery.

I found some great roses at my local supermarket in May for sale-- for about $17.99-- 'Julia Child', 'Easy Does It' and 'Electron'. I recently found 'Koko Loko' at another supermarket for $12.99- all were in 2 Gallon pots!

I love 'Julia Child' and have had mine in the ground for about 3-4 years already. The other 'Julia Child' I bought for my MIL's property to give the backyard area some 'curb appeal'. That is going like gangbusters too!

• bunnicula03
    10 years ago

Yes, the key is to be there close to the plant deivery time, before the roses get picked over and scruffy. I work at an HD, though not in the garden dept. I scoped the roses out daily during May and early June. I picked up Elle, Yves d' St Laurent, Mother of Pearl, California Dreamin', and Adobe Sunrise. I missed out on Julia Child (the few they had sold quickly), and passed on Koko Loco and a few other interesting varieties.