Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
createdtocook

Help Me Pick a Healthy Rose: Which one is better???

createdtocook
9 years ago

I am trying to decide between two climbing white Eden roses.

The FIRST Eden: Appears to have a slightly thicker graft/ trunk area. The leaves are darker and older looking. It is tied to a stake, and slightly shorter than the other white climbing Eden.

The Second Eden: Appears to have a slightly less thick graft/trunk area. The leaves appear to be a bit brighter in color and has slightly more younger growth. This one appears to be slightly taller than the first one, with the longest cane reaching beyond the stake.

Which one should I pick???

Comments (17)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Check the bottom of the pot for roots protruding. You want the least pot bound one.

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Iris_gal:

Both of them look about the same with regard to protruding roots. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I too love the look of the Edens, but fyi I hear they do not do all that well unless they get some type of intervention here in SoCal

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy-the-Hippy:

What do you mean when you say "intervention"???

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Rich conditions, spraying the buds for Thrips, pure luck on storm timing that the big spring bloom isn't ruined by rain. Repeat generally poor here. Mainly one big spring show, then a scatter of flowers until the following year. Terrible rust.

You are a lot better off with 'Iceberg' if you want lots of flowers over the course of the year.

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoovb:

Do you grow Eden Roses?

The only rose I've planted for the last 8 years are icebergs. But I was recently turned onto the White Eden variety because their blooms are gorgeous. I found them at Roger's Garden and The Plant Depot, and the rose expert there, (who personally grows them), said it's by far her all time favorite rose and that it does great for her. The only caveat is that they take a while to establish. The first 2 years, there's not supposed to be a whole lot in terms of blooming, but once the 3rd year hits, they really take off and bloom profusely. She then showed me pictures of her Eden Rose. I just planted a couple back, (trained as climbers), in September. They looked really sad until right around mid-May, when all the new growth has really started to come in, and I have about 10+ buds on it right now. It looks really healthy, with beautiful shiny reddish-greenish leaves, and is going strong with no sign of rust, etc. I have it planted in a spot that gets all-day open bright open shade.

I also just added a Balero rose to my rose collection as well... and may just have to go back and get one more today.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

You obviously want another Eden rose--and who can blame you. They are gorgeous blooms!

Back to which one to choose, if I couldn't find any other significant differences, I'd probably pick the one that seems to be in active growth.

I do grow Eden--but in a very different zone. It isn't very strong on re-bloom here, but it does some re-blooming. It is, however, the spring blooming that stops everyone in their tracks. Wonderful!

Kate

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I had three. I dug them up and threw them out, for the reasons I stated.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

What area are you in?

At descanso gardens on the iron gazebo they have a combo nation of white Eden and sombreuil they look wonderful but the sombreuil is supposed to be better here in SoCal. Otto & sons in filmore carry sombreuil at a 5g climber last I checked

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your great insight. I'm still fairly new to gardening, but I'm learning so much from all you you and the GardenWeb community.

Yes, I am pretty set on having a White Edens in my garden... although I may live to regret it based on Hoovb's experience.

Hoovb: I'm hoping and praying my Edens won't suffer the same fate as yours did. So far they're done pretty well, although I've only had it since September. This morning, I went out and counted 20+ large buds on the Eden I planted in September... I would have had more, had I not dug it up and transplanted it with too small of a root ball earlier this spring.

Kippy-the-Hippy: I'm thinking about planting it along with a White Climbing Iceberg rose together in the front of my house, trained up and over the garage.

Have any of you grown two climbing roses together? I heard of people growing fruit trees in the same hole, I wonder if I could do the same with two climbing roses?

I will look into the Somebreuil rose. I'm intrigued. I've never been to Descanso Gardens, is that off PCH? I think I've heard of it. Maybe I will have to grow a Sombrieuil with an Eden in my backyard.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Descanso Gardens is off the 210 and worth the drive

There is a lady down the street from me that has good luck with her Eden in the backyard where it gets less sun in a north facing area.

Good luck with yours and share photos. Such a pretty rose I would love to grow it

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Descanso Gardens is off the 210 and worth the drive

There is a lady down the street from me that has good luck with her Eden in the backyard where it gets less sun in a north facing area.

Good luck with yours and share photos. Such a pretty rose I would love to grow it

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy-the-Hippy:
    Thanks for the boost in confidence... hearing about your neighbor gives me hope. Especially since it was a bit of a financial splurge for me to get the Edens.

I also have mine planted in my backyard on the north side of my house, in an area that gets all day open bright shade. So far it seems really happy there based on how much it has been growing since spring. I will definitely take picture and share as soon as it blooms. The first large bud just started to open this morning. I'm so excited! I'm hoping it does as well for me as all my iceberg roses.

Your comment has me wondering weather or not I should plant it in my front yard since it faces south and gets all day sun. Any thoughts???

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Icebergs love SoCal. Check out brilliant pink iceberg. (FYI there is no real red iceberg even though Home Depot has them).

I do not want to spray so I think Eden will be a wish rose here.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Again, I'm not in your zone, but based on my zone6 (Kansas) experience with Eden, I'd say lots of sunshine is good.

I would think you would also have fewer fungal problems with more sun--not that fungal problems are a big problem in California, but Eden does have some troubles fully opening its blooms sometimes. More dry heat (in the sun) should help with that.

If you can grow it, you will love it!

Kate

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    9 years ago

I have three grafted climbing Eden just planted this year and they are the best perform rose in my humid garden. The flowers are beautiful and stay on for a long time. If I have a big garden I would love to plan more Eden rose.

On the other hand, I have two climbing America at their second year and they don't perform very well. It is possible that the Eden bare root roses I bought from Regans have a good start with the thick best looking canes and were planted in an area with more sun. Here are the pictures of my Eden roses.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    9 years ago

In my humid garden with powdery mildew problem, the sign of healthy green leaves always bring a smile on my face :)

2nd Eden