Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT but one more reason not to move things illegally.

Posted by roseseek z 10, SoCal (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 21:29

Another scary infestation, this time attacking nearly three-hundred tree species. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree beetle infestation

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT but one more reason not to move things illegally.

Gee who was it that opened pandora's box?
Everytime you turn around there is an insect whom either is doing harm to plant-life or is causing diseases in humans. :-/

o

That article is really sad.

o

Wow. Wonder how it got here and how it spreads

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 15:14

It was right in the article.

"Stouthamer's genetic analysis traced the bugs to Vietnam.

Experts aren't sure how the beetle made its way to the U.S. Invasive species around the world are moved on human cargo, in clothes, in wooden shipping pallets and in boats' ballast water."

That's really sad. Hopefully there is a predator that attacks only that pest and that can be brought here and released. It is how the eugenia psyllid has now been brought under reasonable control.

Likely in shipping pallets, or people smuggling plants in.

o

Yes indeed - I practically wet my knickers on coming across a citrus borer in my woods. We already have the large saperda poplar borer (have weekly frass inspections) and had to report it to Defra immediately.
Global food networks and cheap air travel - we are reeling from chalara decimating our ash trees (Dutch Elm all over again) - no cure.
Will be going a little crazy with the chainsaws..........

o

Once we started going to the University Library and reading plant pathology papers (and getting distracted by other articles in those journals), we started wondering what food supplies were going to be available in a couple of hundred years, if not in a couple of decades.

Then we drove out to Missouri and the monocultural agriculture out there started scaring us big time.

(Anybody ever wonder if the rubber ducks used in the 'races' that are used as money raisers are sterilized of zebra mussel larvae as they are moved between rivers?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here