Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Strange Dick Clark branch

I planted a Dick Clark rose bush a few days ago. When I planted it, I noticed a long stem with an opened rose on it. It laid on the ground instead of growing upwards. I thought it was half ripped off cuz it seemed a little floppy. I followed the stem to the main branch & it doesn't appear torn or half ripped, yet it lays on the ground. Don't know if I'm making any sense or if this is normal. It's the only stem that is doing this.

Comments (13)

• michaelg
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Young rose plants often make stems that are too weak to support a flower. Stake it up if you want.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Michael is right. That cane was just too immature yet to hold up all the weight of that open bloom at the top. Stake it and leave it staked after yo dead head that bloom and it should strengthen up nicely for the next bloom.

I think we are seeing this because we had to prune back so severely this spring that most of our roses are growing new canes from the ground up. Those canes sometimes set blooms before they're really mature enough or had time to hard off some. That soft green wood can't hold up the weight like more mature canes would. As the season progresses they should grow out of this phase.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

was the flower true??? ... rather than a root sucker????

does it matter.. that it was planted days ago??? .. this plant is highly stressed.. and blooming ...

i wouldn't not be happy.. that a recent transplant is blooming... and would probably cut off the flower .. if not half the flopping branch???

ken

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

The long canes of my dick clark flopped over like that for the first year or so, until it had a large (and strong!) enough base to support them. I staked mine till it didn't need it anymore.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've never had to stake a rose bush. Can someone tell me how? Ken, the flower/stem is definitely a normal branch--not a sucker. Thanks all.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I just use the bamboo garden stakes. Find one the proper height for what you need. You don't want some giant unsightly stick out the top of the rose. Hold the branch up to the position you want it in and place the stake in the ground accordingly and twist tie the cane to it. Don't make the twist tie too tight though or you can damage the cane. I have to stake things all the time around here. It's never seemed to harm the roses.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. Really appreciate every one of your replies!

• Deborah lippitt
    7 years ago

I have grown own root roses for over 20 years and 3 new roses I have are flopping over. Loads of blossoms...I have never had this happen before. Are they over powering with fertilizer? Bad clones..What ? It is weird. I wouldn't think any thing of it but 3 different roses? From 3 different places...I'll start staking them. I have never staked roses before.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    7 years ago

Wet and windy weather will cause canes to flop over.

Original Author
    7 years ago

This bush will be 2 years old since I bought the plant & planted it in the first week of June, 2014. It is the healthiest, fullest, constantly blooming rose bush I have ever planted/owened. Dick Clark's are amazing.

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

Small, young, own root plants can be spindly and floppy to start out. It takes at least 3 years for them to mature into good sized sturdy plants and every variety is different. Stake them for now and be patient.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh that was my post from 2 years ago. This bush has become my healthiest biggest, strongest bush in just 2 years of planting seil!