Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nummykitchen

George Burns starting to bloom!

nummykitchen
9 years ago

I am so excited about George Burns, I am usually a Hybrid Tea girl but this floribunda has won me over with it's stripes! I planted it last year, I am so pleased that it made it through our crazy winter. It was in my front right corner bed with Lady Diana, Oklahoma, and Billy Graham (all of which are budded but not blooming just yet!)

Are you a George Burns grower? Anything I should know about this one since it is my first full year with it.

{{gwi:298804}}

{{gwi:298805}}

Full bush shot, not very tall but packed with 16 buds!
{{gwi:298806}}

Comments (13)

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    9 years ago

What a cool, gorgeous looking rose. Hey, my Dick Clark is doing what the picture of your George Burns is doing. Notice on your picture the one stem laying on the ground with the rose opened. Is that normal? I thought my stem was half torn off & that is why it was laying on the ground, but I followed the stem to the main branch & it looks totally intact.

• nummykitchen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Yeah you know that looked to me like it was wind damaged and I almost cut it off but the bud was still growing so I figured I'd let it bloom before I prune off that stem. I have a Dick Clark too and it is a straight upright bloomer so possible you have some wind damage or it was bent somehow but not enough to show and still working enough to get nutrients through.

Andrea

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I don't have this rose, but I do have its ancestor -- the striped Hybrid Perpetual 'Ferdinand Pichard.' Ralph Moore used it to breed with some Minis, and through them, roses like your 'George Burns' and 'Scentimental' and 'Fourth of July' descended. I thought you might find it interesting to see where your baby got its stripes.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Ferdinand Pichard' at HelpMeFind

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    9 years ago

Andrea, this is my first year for the Dick Clark. It looked like the healthiest Dick Clark when I bought it. I hate to cut the branch off. Maybe I should just leave it unless it gets dead looking?

• tigerloveroses
    9 years ago

Beautiful

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

It's my first year with George Burns here in Southern California. It hasn't shot off like some other bare-roots and bands, but it has bloomed well on a shorter plant like yours. Mildew and rust are big problems here and I have yet to notice either. The flowers aren't the longest lasting, but they put Scentimental to shame in that regard amongst striped Floribundas. I like it so far!

Jay

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Andrea - It's looking good!

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

IâÂÂve grown George Burns for around 5 or 6 years now. He gets better and better each year...I think you will be pleased with him. A very cheerful rose which blooms heavily for me, and now that he has matured, his blooms last a long time on the bush (unlike my Scentimental whose blooms still blow fairly quickly after many years in my garden). I wasn't able to detect much fragrance his first year, but it has gotten stronger over time, too. George is one of only a few roses I grow who stays small in my climate. He seems to have topped out at about 4 ft x 3 ft here, but is still able to pump out tons of flowers. In your cooler climate, he will probably hold his yellow tones better...he turns to a mostly red/white striped rose here when it's hot. My biggest complaint would be his vicious, vicious thornsâ¦one of my very thorniest roses. HereâÂÂs a pic of mine from a couple of weeks ago:

{{gwi:298807}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

He's beautiful, Nummy!

Nick, take a close look at the stem on your DC and see if there is damage or not. It could be that it's just new green wood that wasn't strong enough to hold up an large bloom yet. If so when you dead head that one try and stake up the cane so as it grows out and strengthens it will be upright. i have one on a new Love Song that I just bought that did the same thing. The cane was perfectly all right but just not strong enough to hold up the bloom at the end. Once I cut that one off the cane went up some on it's own. I think because of the severe pruning we all had to do the roses are starting to bloom on VERY green wood now.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Very nice Nummy! :)

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Oh man!!! What a stunning rose and bush. I love it!!! The stripes are so beautiful and the flowers are amazing. Good golly Miss Molly!!!
    Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

That is the first time I have ever seen a full-grown bush of George Burns. Had no idea it would be so lovely and floriferous!

As to the weak branches practically lying on the ground, just look around the yard for a twiglet of the right size that has fallen from a tree and carefully position it under the weak branch as you gently raise it to a more upright position. The twiglet will be hardly noticeable, and the weak branch will appreciate being able to lean on the twiglet.

I often do that for my new baby roses.

kate

• Holly Kline
    9 years ago

Beauty! Mine is in year 2. I've had one nice flush already and am looking forward to more. Congrats!