Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Stawberry, or anyone, have you tried this?

kittymoonbeam
10 years ago

Here's another idea from Gary's newsletter and I never thought of trying this. But maybe with a weak grower or sick plant, it might be a good idea. Gary's ideas usually work out for me but I thought I would ask here before attempting it.

From Gary's monthly newsletter on plants

"Feeding" Your Plants
Plants don't "eat" the way we do
When we eat, we consume carbohydrates, proteins, and fats to add energy to our bodies. Plants, on the other hand, normally receive all their energy from sunlight. The minerals that we "feed" them are building materials and actually will lower the energy level of the plant as they are incorporated into new plant tissue.

If a plant has been struggling and is teetering on the edge of life, throwing on a handful of fertilizer may be the worst thing you can do. Growing new foliage takes a lot of energy. Now many plants that appear anemic are actually full of energy and just require a "feeding" of minerals so that could green up and start to grow.

The radiant energy from sunlight is stored as a sugar molecule. Carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) molecules are fused to create sugar (C6H1206) and oxygen (O2). The oxygen is released into the atmosphere (the plant does use some of it) and the sugar can be used immediately to power one of the cell's many functions, or the sugar can be stored for future needs, or the sugar can be converted to cellulose and/or lignin to create new plant tissue (specifically the cell walls) and/or repair damage. Some of the sugar is sent down (through the phloem/bark) to provide energy and building material to the roots.

A fruiting tree must have a good store of sugars (as starch) in its branches in order to initiate formation of flowers and fruit. The majority of fruit trees store sugar in their stems during the fall for development of flowers buds and fruit the following year.

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR PLANTS TO ABSORB SUGAR?

APPARENTLY IT IS!

25 years ago an article appeared in a journal from the California Rare Fruit Growers organization discussing how applications of molasses on the foliage of a non-productive lemon tree in cloudy Palos Verdes apparently helped it flower and fruit.

To convince myself that this actually worked I sprayed the sugar solution on only one branch of a plum tree during the fall. The following year that one branch had about 400% more fruit than the other branches! I was convinced.

Over the years I have applied sugar, not only to increase production, but to increase speed of growth and to help weak or stressed plants increase their energy and vigor.

I still use this method when growing plants, but have changed the formula slilghtly.

In 1 gallon of water add

1 ounce of Karo syrup (source of sugar)
1 ounce of Seaweed Extract (powerful growth stimulant)
1 ounce of Fish Emulsion (source of mineral nutrients)

I also add a teaspoon of Nature's Own Spray Helper to help this solution cling to foliage better.

I apply the spray, using a pressure (pump) sprayer to all leaves and/or green parts of the plant. The application is supposedly more effective if applied when conditions are more humid (early morning or evening).

If applied in spring or summer the plant will use the sugar to grow faster If applied in fall or winter the plant will store the sugar for the following year's growth or production.

Yes the sugar will feed the local ant population so make certain that you control the ants first. On the other hand, applying sugar will also attract beneficial insects. Most predators (ladybugs, lacewings, etc.) smell the sugar and expect to find sucking insects (and the honeydew they normally excrete).

Comments (9)

• Kippy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How interesting (and 25 years ago my parents where still in to the rare fruit growers association too)

If I see my neighbor, who is still busy with the group, what he thinks of using sugar.

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi Kitty: I'm glad you are back, I miss your tons-of-blooms gorgeous pics, and your years of experience ahead of me. When Alana in SC got sick bands from Burlington early april, this is what I wrote to Alana on April 19:

"Fish emulsion is very acidic, best mix into your tap water to lower the pH for pale roses. It's great to water your roses with diluted fish emulsion, but NOT to spray the foliage. If leaves are kept wet and slightly acidic, you'll get diseases.

Fish emulsion is cited as NPK is 5-2-2, with trace elements. University of Mass. research on marigolds tested chemical, fish emulsion, alfalfa pellets, or a combo. They compared Neptune fish emulsion NPK of 3-1-5, versus chemical fertilizer NPK of 20-2-20.

Personally I think the marigold watered with fish emulsion looks better than others, the one with alfalfa meal is worst, very stunt and yellowish. Google that, and you'll see.

Another organic way is to use blackstrap molasses, but only the Plantation brand has the highest nutrient. Plantation brand sold at Walmart has 17% potassium, 20% iron, and 20% calcium. Experiments on Soluble fertilizers showed that high potassium plus calcium yielded the best root growth, and the best flowering.

Less is best with molasses. People with green plants use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for every 2 weeks. Since roses are tougher, 1 teaspoon would be fine. Too much sugar can make the fungi out-number the bacteria in the soil.

A tiny bit of sugar stimulates the endo/ecto mycorrhizal fungi. That group of soil fungi increase the nutrients in soil, esp. phosphorus, potassium, and iron. I posted a thread on mycorrhizal fungi a month ago. "

After I wrote the above to Alana, I went to find Plantation brand early April .... no luck. So I'll order low salt soluble fertilizer NPK 2-20-20 with molasses from Kelp4Less. Once diluted, that Mid-Bloom pack has 1/4 cup molasses per 50 gal., plus Myco++ fungi for best root-uptake of nutrients.

If you can find Plantation Blackstrap molasses, its high iron will green up your plants. Here's the link to nutrients in different brands of molasses ... they vary widely:

Here is a link that might be useful: Nutrients in different brands of molasses

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Molasses is one thing people use to heat up and start compost bins

• nastarana
    10 years ago

The health food store near where I live sells a brand called Tree of Life "unsulfered preservative free blackstrap molassas".

The label states: potassium 14%, calcium 15%, iron 20%, magnesium 10%. I may try some, diluted, on my plants. I have a repotted band plant of 'Pink Cloud' frm. RVR which remains alarmingly pale as to foliage even after weekly drinks of mild fish emulsion.

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

From a March 2013 scientific review.

"exogenous sucrose supply often mimics the effect of high light and cold. However, many exceptions to this rule seem to occur due to interactions with other signaling pathways. In conclusion, the sucrose role as a signal molecule in plants is starting to be unveiled and much research is still needed to have a complete map of its significance in plant function."

Here is a link that might be useful: Sucrose signaling in plants: A world yet to be explored

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Thank you, Nastarana for info. about "Tree of Life" molasses, I will check my health food store. Thank you, Henry, for that article, that's an interesting topic to explore.

Serena in KS left this forum and post many pics. of her awesome, no-spray roses in her "Organic Roses-Honeybee garden" profile in HMF. She has alkaline clay like mine, but uses Gardenville Sea Tea, with all trace elements in CHELATED forms, such as iron, manganese, copper, and zinc.... they green up her roses, give vibrant colors to blooms. Horse manure does the same with its trace elements, but not all folks have access to horse manure.

Below is the link to organic Gardenville Sea Tea with compost tea, Omega-3 Fish emulsion, molasses, and several chelated trace elements. Serena in KS loves that stuff, with her vibrant deep blooms and dark green leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenville Sea tea with molasses added

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

Identifying sucrose as a signal for nitrate uptake by wheat roots

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

Growth Response of Tomatoe Plants to Applied Sucrose

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Thank you, Henry, for the above links, I find them very fascinating. I am always curious about the role of sugar in plant growth, much appreciated.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths