Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaserberl_gw

Rose leaves full of holes

glaserberl
14 years ago

Hi,

never posted here, but I can't figure out what is eating my climbing rose. I looked and can't find any bugs. It first I thought it was a fungus because the leaves had spots, but then there were the holes. Some leaves are almost completely eaten.

Thanks for any help

Katharina

{{gwi:298897}}

{{gwi:298898}}

Comments (9)

• yankeesrule
    14 years ago

Rose slugs. Litte green bugs under the leaves They look like mini caterpillars, My kids get paid a quarter for everyone they squish, they think its fun.Those damn things will devour your leaves in a flash.if left alone.

• york_rose
    14 years ago

Rose slugs are my first thought, too. You obviously are contending with a critter (or critters) that chew(s) leaves as it(they) eat(s) them, that's for certain. Rose slugs do that, but often leave a remnant of the leaf behind when they're finished. The out & out complete holes might be caused by some rose slug(s), but could also be caused by some other pest that chews as it eats.

(Some pests, such as aphids, leafhoppers, plant bugs, and whiteflies suck as they eat, rather than chew. Consequently the damage they cause does not look like the image you have posted.)

• monica33flowers
    14 years ago

It could even be Japanese Beetles.When my roses aren't in bloom they go after theleaves.

• glaserberl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have not seen any critter at all.
    Wait and see or what should I put something on it?

• york_rose
    14 years ago

If the cause is rose slugs (although it's getting a little late for that, at least where I live it is) you'll find them underneath the leaves with the newest damage. Very often (usually?) they're pale green. They always look a lot like caterpillars.

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

glaserberl, the implication is that rose slugs can be extremely difficult to see, especially ehen they are yound. They start out so tiny and so perfectly green that it can be a miracle to see them. But the damage the do is disproportionate to their size. One or two can rip through a bush in no time flat.

If your roses are not too prickly try "stroking" the chewed leaves, with especial pressure to the undersides. Likely you will feel them as they get squished; and squishing is the best way to eliminate them, even if it would be difficult on a climber.

Wasps are natural predators, so discouraging wasps hunting aorund your roses is ENcouraging rose slugs. Insecticidal soaps can work, but they take up to 24 hours to work and you do risk collateral damage to your "good" bugs, especially honeybees that should be protected at what might sometimes seem like ridiculous cost.

• jim_east_coast_zn7
    14 years ago

I have/had damage like that and saw a wasp hovering around and here I thought it was the culprit!
    Jim

• C Schaffner
    14 years ago

I have tons of rose slugs now. My leaves look just like that. Does BT work on them? I sprayed last week and it didn't seem to help.

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

BT doesn't work on rose slugs because as larva they are not really caterpillars, only resemble them.