Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidos_house

Please help id two roses

sidos_house
10 years ago

Last summer my sister bought her first house and along with it came a couple struggling rose bushes. The previous owner did not know their names but was sure that they were pretty old and had come from her grandmother's garden. That could mean a lot of things: 10 years old, 25 years old... Not sure if they were propagated from cuttings or just dug up and replanted. She lives in Iowa, zone 5. She is just beginning to learn about roses and although I can claim a couple years on her, I can't claim enough knowledge to be of any assistance to her in identifying these two roses. Maybe someone can help us out! I'll post one picture at a time. The roses are recuperating from some years of neglect, they look a million times better than they did last year though!

I thought the yellow one looked hybrid tea-ish. Not sure about the red one (which my sister calls pink) but thought the very slight white marking on the bud and flower was interesting.

Comments (14)

• sidos_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

second photo of yellow rose

• sidos_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

third photo of yellow rose

• sidos_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fourth photo of yellow rose -- foliage

• sidos_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the red/pink rose

• sidos_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

second photo of red/pink rose

• sidos_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

third photo of red/pink rose -- foliage

I know this is not quite a lot to go on but thank you in advance for any ideas you may have.

• sidos_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was reading about Leverkusen in Right Rose Right Place. Is that a possibility for the yellow rose?

• Heartlandoasis
    10 years ago

I am the sister! Thank you in advance for any suggestions or feedback you may have. The yellow rose has no fragrance, the other (pink), (although I will admit as Sido pointed out, it has some red to it, maybe more of a magenta?) has a small amount of fragrance. Both are bushes, the yellow stands about 3 feet tall, the pink, about 4 feet tall, and I would describe it as leggy. I would also love any ideas you have as how to help with the spotting on the yellow rose's foliage. Thank you for helping out this rose novice!

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Hi Sis -- The yellow marks are signs of rose mosaic virus. Properly, prunus necrotic ringspot virus.

You will be told that the disease will shorten the life of rose plants -- but as you see, that may not be the case. :-)

Don't worry about it. Most roses in commerce have it, as it is spread in budding or cloning.

Wish I could help you with ID -- I can't even ID MY grandmother's roses! But others may have ideas on that.

If you don't find out, give them a study name and enjoy 'em.

Jeri

• littlesmokie
    10 years ago

I'm wondering about St. Patrick for your yellow & Mirandy for your red/pink/magenta.
    These are more modern roses (as opposed to OGRs) so when looking to ID roses it can be helpful to run through possibilities of roses that are/were popularly in commerce first.
    The form/foliage of yellow look like a match for Peace grown during cold overcast weather before increasing sunshine starts bringing out the pink edges. (Peace is usually the most common yellow based HT you'll find...) Another possibility could be Elina, but don't remember that foliage and your yellow looks more richly colored. (But again local growing conditions can impact color, mature bush size etc.)
    I grew Mirandy years ago & even though its commonly referred to as a fragrant red rose, mine always showed more pink/magenta. I think it did have that occasional white striped petal, but that is a trait I have seen crop up on several fragrant red and mauve/purple roses I've grown so I wouldn't point to that particular characteristic when looking for your ID.
    I'll try to link pics to St Patrick on helpmefind--the best resource for searching for roses.
    Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: St Patrick

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

The yellow reminds me of Origold and you're redish pink would probably be Dr. Huey, the under stock of most grafted roses.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I don't know -- That foliage doesn't look quite right for Huey.

Jeri

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Does the yellow consistently start out a clear, strong yellow? Does the yellow fade toward off-white as the flower ages? Or toward pink at the edges? Or not change?
    There aren't that many unfading clear yellow hybrid teas, and Oregold (1975) was, they say, the first. It was widely distributed.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Or, perhaps, 'Sunsprite.' That's always been a terrific garden rose.

Jeri