Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New rose growth on Old Garden Roses?

Posted by Sara-Ann z6b OK (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 21:59

I am curious as to how long it takes a rose like Zephirine Drouhin to form buds once the process has begun? My ZD has dozens of red shoots that look like the growth that forms buds and it has been doing this for awhile, but not many buds yet. On my hybrid teas and floribundas when I start seeing that growth I know there will soon be a bud. Is the growth I'm seeing going to result in blooms or are these just blind shoots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New rose growth on Old Garden Roses?

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 0:03

Most European OGRs bloom on old wood -- even many of those which repeat. So what happens is that new canes (thick shoots from the base) will grow this year, and next year will bloom on laterals on last year's canes. After the first flush, if you cut back the laterals on last year's shoots, they'll bloom again (if the rose repeats).

Basically, they bloom on new shoots growing from last year's canes. This is the case for most of the long-caned Bourbons and Hybrid Perpetuals. Some of those with an extra dose of China or Tea will bloom on new shoots the same year, but 'Zephirine Drouhin' isn't one of those.

So if this rose is new for you, don't expect much in the way of blooms the first year -- sometimes not much the second year, either. The rose first needs to grow its layer of canes which will mature and then flowerHybrid Teas and Floribundas have heavier doeses of China-derived repeat-blooming genes, and so they will bloom on new shoots their first year (hence their being able to take hard-pruning in Spring and still flower that same year).

:-)

~Christopher

o
RE: New rose growth on Old Garden Roses?

Thank you Christopher. This is ZD's second year. Last year it just had a handful of blooms early in the season. This year the first spring flush seemed very good for its second year, it had quite a few blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here