Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilsprout

Can you help my fairy rose please

lilsprout
9 years ago

My fairy rose leaves are turning brown/tan in some areas (attached pic). I also have this on my knock outs, but I also see tiny holes in those...didn't get a pic sorry, as the Mosquitos were out in full force.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

• michaelg
    9 years ago

TF is pretty hardy, but if you had say minus 15 last winter, all the canes may have been damaged and needed to be pruned to the ground. I would cut back all the canes except the ones with good flower clusters until the inside looks healthy, or all the way. Weak growth on damaged canes will be more susceptible to disease.

TF is quite susceptible to cercospora spot disease, which makes small reddish spots with smooth margins. These can coalesce and--after some weeks--kill large areas on the leaves. In most areas, this disease does not spread much in the heat of summer.

TF is also susceptible to spider mites, which cause bronzing of the older leaves with fine stippling on the upper surface and a dirty appearance underneath.

I can't give you a full diagnosis, but these are some things to investigate.

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did prune in spring as there were many dead canes.

I will cut out all the bad areas again in hopes that it doesn't return.

Thank you so much.