Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with this rose?

Posted by NGardener123 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 22:03

I bought some roses in body bags this year, and I have never grown rose before. Some of them are survived and some died. All the roses I lost die in the same way: the cane turned brown and the leaves wilted. I have lost 7 roses already and this one is the 8th one. I kept replacing and kept losing too. What's wrong with the rose? When I took it out of bag, the cane was still green, just had a small brown spot. But once I put it in the pot, it became like this within three days. Please help me, what should I do with this rose? Can it be saved? Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with this rose?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 23:48

Sorry to say that that looks dead. If you are purchasing bagged bare root roses at this time of year chances are most of them are already too far gone when you get them to make it. Those roses were harvested last fall. They were dug up, stripped of all their leaves, soil and a lot of their roots and chopped off top and bottom to fit in those bags. Then they were placed in cold storage all winter to go to the stores in February and March. Now they've been sitting on a store shelf since then with no care or water of any kind. The store is cutting the prices to get rid of them, and that's appealing, but they really aren't worth the money. If you have a good nursery near you I'd suggest you go pick out a nice potted rose that's already growing and healthy and start with that.

o
RE: What's wrong with this rose?

I think you are right. The ones kept dying are the replacements I bought from late April to June, and the first batch I bought in early March are fine. Thanks for the useful information!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here