Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan4952

Any additional info on champagne cocktail?

susan4952
10 years ago

New this year. Any input? Other than the HMF stuff.

Comments (9)

• TNY78
    10 years ago

I've had it three years, and its blooms are beautiful...when it actually blooms. It also has a lot of blackspot here. I don't spray though, so it may be much different if you do and also depending on where you're located. :)

Tammy

• sweetvenge
    10 years ago

It's a cute little rose with two sides to it. The hand painted look or the solid red with white outline. Had it for two seasons now going on the third, seems hardy for zone 5 winters. Maybe a little below average on the re-bloom side. Was one of the first one's to open this year this past week(everything is a good 2-3 weeks behind normal). Here's a pic from it this week which is what I get more often, more of the solid red with white outline on the end of the petals with some of trying to go to the hand painted look.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. She is a cutie.

• sweetvenge
    10 years ago

That is if you could get both sides to it in the same season, which I don't think I've got yet. The only time I got the more hand painted look is when I first got it, it's usually a mixture of the two. Here's a pic of when I first got it.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I grew it years ago in my old Newhall garden. It was an own root plant from a British import I received from Peter Schneider. It was a horse! In this climate, it grew to nearly five by five feet with very thick canes. There could be a spot of black spot very early and late in the spring and fall, but most often it was clean.

Being painted, it varied greatly from the yellow and white with strawberry to nearly solid red. There was never an issue with it flowering as it constantly had color. I combined it with Laughter Lines, Tequila Sunrise, McGredy's painted roses and other vibrant, "gaudy" shades and loved the riot of color. I don't know how it might be elsewhere for disease, but it was definitely better than any of the McGredy painters here health-wise. Kim

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Like her so far.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

It's good to hear that Sweetvenge had it overwinter for her successfully in zone 5, since I've had this one not survive my winters twice here in Nebraska. With that encouragement (it doesn't take much) I'm liable to try this one again, since I agree that it's one of the really appealing handpainted roses from McGredy.

Cynthia

• sweetvenge
    10 years ago

I should add it survived this past winter without any protection as well, I completely forgot to spread leaves around my roses from my tree that I usually do because it started mild again and I thought it last the whole winter but it turned brutal and like typical zone 5 winter for me. Sorry Nippstress but I need to amend your post a little to "overwintered for him(not her) in zone 5". Sorry but I LOL'd a little.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Whoops, sorry about that Sir 'Venge! Since you didn't sign a real name I did a mindless coin flip and ended up on the wrong pronoun. Ah well, that Sweetvenge - HE's more convincing than ever that I should try Champagne Cocktail again since it survived without even winter leaf protection and a real winter to boot. Thanks for the update on both accounts, and I appreciate the humorous redirection.

Cynthia (she)