Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing Rose - Eden

Posted by toronto_girl_zone_6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 22:11

Hello all. Does anyone in zones 5b/6a have any experience with this rose? How did it perform for you. Did it flower the first year? How much of cane did you have to prune come spring? How disease resistant was this rose in your garden. The rose is advertised to be shade tolerant. Did you find this to be true? Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4791.6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing Rose - Eden

Mine is a house eater that has had to be staked to the second floor eave. She is about 6 years old and does not have much winter die back ( blooms on old wood) MOnster healthy rose. I only prune her properly every 2-3 years because I cannot reach the top! I do NOT winter protect. She has lived through all different weather conditions..,.but I pamper them all during the growing season. No disease at all. Good advice from this forum. "take care to establish a healthy plant and root system before challenged by weather, etc."
Bloomed the first year but was only about 5 ft. She gets about 6 hours of a.m. sun.

o

I had a different experience. I had mine for about four years and it never achieved climbing status due to winterkill each year. Never was very vigorous either. Fairly disease-resistant but not immune. Gorgeous, gorgeous flowers, though, although not fragrant.

o

Beautiful in bloom, but blooms sporadically at best. Not winter hardy here unles planted in a sheletered micro-climate spot near a south or west facing wall. Not very vigorous and suffers from BS. Not really suitable in our zone and there are much better climbers.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 16:29

Someone said, "Gorgeous flower, terrible plant."

This sums up my experience perfectly.

o

Totally different climate, I know, but notorious here for rust. As a dear friend loves to say, "It's pretty, WHEN it's pretty". Kim

o

I have 2 Eden Climbers - one is about 2 years old and the other one is about 12 years old - Don't know if it was the strange winter weather here (Nor Cal)or what but the top half f each rose turned into red roses. Its really strange as the bottom is still blooming pink! The two roses are nowhere near each other. Anyone out there have any idea what might have happened?

o

My Eden is about 6 years old. It definitely is not a house-eater, but did threaten to outgrow its 7-8 ft tall pillar one year. I arched over the top canes and tied them down to the pillar--not the greatest arrangement, but I didn't want the excess length whipping around in the winter winds. It didn't bloom as well last year. I checked it carefully--several of the canes were becoming very thick and almost treelike. So this early spring, I drastically pruned back a couple of those old canes. Don't know what long-term effect that will have, but I certainly got a lot of new growth from the ground with lots of blooms--but the new growth is only about 3 ft tall so far. I guess I'll know by next spring whether I helped or hindered it.

My Eden bloomed the first year, but not heavily. I've seen many posts on this forum from posters complaining that it doesn't bloom or re-bloom well for them. All I know is that it gives me a fairly heavy bloom in spring, and does give some repeat later in the season, but it is not heavy repeat.

I have the clematis polish spirit growing on the same trellis, so those purple flowers fill in some gaps in the Eden blooming cycle.

The first year or two Eden had a touch of Blackspot sometimes, but since then it has had fairly good disease-resistance. If I have some left-over fungicide, I'll give Eden a couple passes, though not very thoroughly. That seems to be enough. Often it gets no treatment at all, and no BS plagues result.

The flower really is beautiful. But other climbers are also. I have no desire to get rid of Eden, but if I had a different climber, I might be just as happy with it. Hard to say.

Kate

o

My this has taken a beating! lol. The blooms are so absolutely stunning, but it seems by and large folks have had not so positive experiences with this rose (except Susan, who has been very lucky). I'll shop around for other climbers I guess.

o

I grow Eden in my zone 5 garden. It never reaches climbing status because of winter kill, but does reach a respectable 4 l/2 to 5 feet height. It's spring bloom is very beautiful and the roses are exquisite, which is why I keep it. It is only a sporadic bloomer after that, which is a negative. Another positive, however, is that it is quite disease resistant here.

o

Sorry if I gave you the impression that Eden is not a desirable climber. It is. The only real complaint I've ever heard against it is that it is a poor rebloomer. The point of my post above was that while it is not a strong rebloomer, it does an adequate job for me. Why some people claim to have problems, I don't know--unless they are just too impatient. With climbers, it can sometimes take 3-5 years for it to really settle in and mature. And that is true with many, perhaps most, climbers, not just Eden.

Kate

o

I had 1 for about 6 years, then winter kill got it & it became the root stock/Dr. Rupple. I purchased another one.....it's in it's 3rd year. Never gets over 3' tall in my Colorado climate. I love the blooms.....it's a terrible cut flower, wilts in seconds of being cut....:0)

o

Zone 5B here....my experience, detailed at the blog below, is pretty dismal, even before it got eaten this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog on Eden

o

Hmm... it is a gorgeous rose... I think I will try it out in my yard, and not have any expectations of it for two years. It won't serve as I climber it seems, and I am not looking for cut roses. The disease resistance does make it attractive to me.

Professorroush, your blog post was both hilarious and disheartening. I am still tempted to give this rose a try, and hope it proves to be disease resistant for me. I think if I get this rose, I might tie it to stakes or a mini obelisk to help it survive winds and grow to a respectable height. I think roses in general have weaker disease resistance while they are still getting established. I might give this rose three years to prove herself to me. If I still need to spray at that point... well, we'll see what we
can do then.

Everyone thank you so much for your responses. If anyone else would like to chime in with their experiences with this rose, I'd love to hear about it.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 19, 11 at 19:23

You know, I've wanted Eden for years. My nephew's name is Eden and the rose is just plain gorgeous! I actually bought it once from a local nursery but unfortunately it turned out to be a mislabel. However, after reading all of this I'm thinking maybe it was a good thing it was a mislabel after all. I was going to put it on a column that is the entry to my porch. There is no room for a HOUSE EATER there and all those thorns would be a problem for anyone trying to get to my front door. Including me!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 0:43

"Don't know if it was the strange winter weather here (Nor Cal)or what but the top half f each rose turned into red roses. Its really strange as the bottom is still blooming pink!"

Follow the red-blooming stems down to the ground and see if they are suckers. Sounds like rootstock is trying to take over, which it will, unless you pull all the suckers. Pull, don't cut.

o

Today while I was out and about in my car, I spotted five Eden rose plants in front of some houses on Victoria Park Avenue. They ranged in size from about 6 feet to 9 feet, and all of them were healthy plants covered in blooms. At 9 feet, it can be said that this plant has achieved climbing status, I hope. It is good to know that this rose can be grown successfully in my area.

o

OMG...so sorry!!! I reported on New Dawn, not Eden. Mine is just like Kate's! Five -six feet.

o

lol! Don't worry about it, Susan. At this point, I've decided to give Eden a try regardless. It can be a climber or a shrub, either way it will have a place in my garden.

o

she is in the center. A beautiful rose.
Photobucket

o

I have two four year olds. Covered in blooms with year. I prune to keep it about six foot. Would be my favorite if it was fragrant.

o

Hi I came across to this site and I've been looking for Eden climbing rose for a year! I bought one from Lowes last year and it died on me! :( now both Lowes and Home Depot don't carry it around here...
Would anyone of you like to share your Eden roses perhaps when you prune it instead of trashing it...!? Will it be possible if you can send me Eden cuttings hormone powders and wrap it in potting soil and damp newspaper then ship? I'll surely pay for it. I do have a garden and some roses , basil, lemon grass...etc if you are looking for anything please let me know I'll check if I have it I can send you some as well.

please let me know kindly
my email is
starswing04@yahoo.com

o

I live in So Cal, in a mild coastal zone, and am approaching my fourth spring with Eden climber.

It gets full sun all winter, full morning sun/dappled PM shade the rest of the year -- which I think protects it's extraordinary color. A few neighbors will reroute their dog walks to check it out in the spring -- the inner blush and creamy outer petals and the romantic appeal of Eden carries across the street. The buds are fat, round balls that enhance the blooms. I got a few teaser blooms the first year, no pruning but I began tying it immediately; it shot up 12 foot canes and about 15 blooms the second year, it's first pruning; many more canes and about 50 blooms total the third year.

Roses don't go dormant here so I stripped it and pruned this January and it has a zillion laterals now. I'm looking forward to stopping traffic!

I've rarely remembered to feed it, never used chemicals, and water it by laying a drippy hose at it's feet for a day or so every couple of weeks. One thing I do: I deadhead and I tie the canes as horizontally as possible. The blossoms tend to bow downward but this looks spectacular over an arch/doorway.

o

My Eden, (Pierre Ronsard) is a baby. It has grown slow, slow, slow.
I believe it's growing as an own root rose from Heirloom. It looks healthy (tiny & no buds).
Mild winter here.

Feedback?

o

I"m in southern Ca, and Eden is about my favorite (along with Brigadoon! ) After about 6 years, it repeats well, but nothing like the spring flush. But isn't that true of most roses? It is so gorgeous ! Its not that thorny and I have it as a pillar rose around a post. Its easy to keep the size I want it. My only problem was thrips, but I've solved that problem with a once a year application of Bayer.

o

I get a lot of browning of petals and blooms not fully opened here in southern Ohio. Winter kill is also a problem, as well as no repeat. I say "I," but in fact the rose belongs to a client of mine, and I would love to get rid of it, but the client keeps saying that next year it will be beautiful. (Leaves seem more susceptible to disease also.)

o

" Posted by mauvegirl8 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 19:16

My Eden, (Pierre Ronsard) is a baby. It has grown slow, slow, slow.
I believe it's growing as an own root rose from Heirloom. It looks healthy (tiny & no buds).
Mild winter here.

Feedback?"

Mine grew slowly, too! I had it in a big pot, but I can tell that she still seemed kind of slow in general. The repeat hasn't been bad with enough sun, and she's old enough now to be sending up some new basals. Slow start, though, yeah! In my experience, anyway :)

She gets to finally get in the ground instead of swimming in a pot in a couple of weeks. I haven't had a bit of problem with her, but I bet she stops traffic once she gets settled into her new spot! She's about 6' tall, after 3-4 years (in a pot).

o

I have mine in a pot too. It has two long canes (about 8 ft tall) and healthy leaves, but not one bud. I've had her for about 9 months, she is own root from heirloom roses and I wish I would have gotten her grafted. She's a slow grower on her own roots. I'm wondering if she'll ever bloom. But I'm very obsessed with her so if she takes another season I'm willing to wait. I wish she'd give me at least a few teaser blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here